Teaching English opens many ways to get rewarding opportunities that will lead to go wherever in the world. English is in high demand and you’ll discover energized understudies of any age necessarily waiting to learn. Many of the countries allow native language speaking people to teach without a certified degree, a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course could get more jobs potential and earnings.
Above all regardless, it can give you the contraption to be a more productive educator for your understudies. You may be wondering if it’s better to get a TEFL course in person or online. Online TEFL courses provide the flexibility to study within your comfortable place and time.
What is a TEFL certificate?
Teaching English as a foreign language certificate is an internationally recognized teaching qualification to teach English in countries where English is not the first language a TEFL certificate is one of the base requirements to teach ESL abroad so who exactly is a TEFL certificate. If you fall into one of these four categories, a TEFL certificate is right for you.
- First, you want to teach English in a foreign country.
- Second, you have little to no teaching experience. Next, you’re an experienced teacher seeking an international teaching opportunity.
- Lastly, if you don’t have any experience teaching non-native English speakers
What are the advantages of a certificate by earning a TEFL certificate?
You will qualify for teaching jobs abroad. You’ll be a competitive candidate for sought-after high-paying teaching jobs with more reputable schools. If you’re interested in teaching English in a country where English isn’t the first language a TEFL certificate is the most highly regarded and internationally recognized.
What to consider when choosing a TEFL course?
It’s a common misconception that TEFL courses are accredited however there is no single organization that governs the standards of all temple courses this means that a TEFL course is not truly accredited and anyone can create and sell a TEFL course. It’s important to understand this and be wary of courses that claim they are accredited. As they’re likely to be accredited by private organizations, While an organization or institution can be accredited. For Example University there TEFL course is not truly accredited. TEFL courses can be offered online and in-person both methods of delivery cover the same TEFL curriculum on-site. TEFL courses should include teaching practice also known as a practicum. It’s important to note that a practicum completing during a TEFL course will not be recognized as a formal teaching experience.
When can apply for jobs?
It’s most important to choose a course that fits your preferences schedule and location online TEFL courses reputable ones tend to hover around the $1,000 mark a reputable in-class course will be just under or above 2,000 u.s. dollars.
Some TEFL courses include job placement assistance for teachers who complete their course, it’s important to be cautious of TEFL courses that guarantee job placement. You may not have as much choice in terms of location type of teaching position pay and benefits of the rule.
You get a guaranteed job that can seem appealing and attractive quality of a TEFL course. But the best teaching jobs with the most reputable schools will require you to interview and be the best candidate for the position being hired. Because you’re the best versus simply paying money to complete a course that guarantees job placement, will ensure that your experience abroad will meet and exceed your expectations.
Who need TEFL skills?
English language skills including reading speaking and pronunciation teach the complexities of English grammar which includes sentence structure verbs and more select and adapt resources and materials for the classroom. If you choose to specialize you will learn how to tailor your teaching. For teaching things like business English and teaching English to young learners throughout the course, students develop and build a teacher portfolio of lesson plans resources as well as materials for their future. ESL classrooms experts in various institutions designed an online temple certification that offers world-class content in a convenient format.
TEFL – Online Teaching and Durations
The course is 100% online and self-paced which makes earning your TEFL certificate convenient and easy to fit into any existing work or study schedule. All students have one year to complete the course with most students completing in two to three months. TEFL online offers a unique way to differentiate your TEFL certificate from others with specializations depending on the type of teaching job you’re seeking or the country you’d like to teach in. You can customize your certificate to match your interests and teaching ambitions.
Duration of the course
This course can be studied in 20 hours to 120 hour course with or without tutor support. Some institute teaches in a short time of courses but most of the institute follows the approximate duration of 100 to 120 hours. These 120 hours needed to complete the course may be more or less than 100 hours depending on how quickly you read to process the information and complete the exams as soon as you pass the course. Within 2 to 3months or with a maximum duration of 12 months allowed completing it. Since the validity of the course is provided with 12 months of duration only by most of the institute, so it is suggested to complete as much as possible to get their job soon. It is an online temple course that provides you with the necessary certification to teach English as a foreign language around the world. You get from your 120-hour online course high-quality student evaluation. You will also study English grammar with units on parts of speech and other areas including pronunciation and phonology. There are 13 to 20 study units which have been designed to build on each other. As you progress through the course and each minute is evaluated by an online test at the end of all units.
Henry Harvin TEFL Academy
Henry Harvin offers a 120-hour online self-paced AAEFL (American Association of EFL) certified TEFL course. The program must be completed within a year of enrollment.
The course fee is $600, which at an ongoing offer is currently $299. It is an affordable course with amazing benefits like free access to Henry Harvin’s online LMS platform with abundant content.
The trainers at Henry Harvin are senior domain experts who cover the course with ease and are very dedicated to students’ learning.
The course usually requires 8- 12 weeks for completion. And the course doesn’t require any prerequisite knowledge.
Henry Harvin even offers job support with 1200+ placement partners in more than 42 countries on 7 different continents. Media partners of Henry Harvin are Russia Today, Bloomberg, Japan News English, U.S.News, CCTV News.
After less than two weeks of the completion of the course completion, the AAEFL accredited certificate is was sent to successful students via email and this certification has a lifelong validation and doesn’t require any renewal.
International TEFL Academy
According to the International TEFL Academy, their alumni work in 80 countries across the world, so it’s no wonder why this world-renowned program tops our list. This part-time, 11-week 170-hour TEFL certification promises small class sizes (maximum of 20 students), teachers with a minimum of a master’s degree, and interactive features such as live lectures, webinars, and chat sessions.
This course is comprised of 150 hours of learning coupled with a 20-hour hands-on teaching practicum. Throughout your studies, you will be aided by a personal tutor who will be there to answer all your questions.
Graduates will benefit from lifetime job search assistance as well as a network of thousands of ITA graduates located all around the globe.
Here’s what past participants had to say about ITA’s course:
· “The support staff and instructors were exceptional from start to finish. I now feel genuinely empowered as I pursue my aspirations to teach ESL to adults.” — Timothy
· “The course work is challenging but doable and each assignment helps to build you into a better ESL instructor. You will feel more confident and eager to teach abroad by the end of the term.” – Melinda
Teach Away’s OISE TEFL
Teach Away, world leaders in international teacher placement has partnered with the University of Toronto to offer the OISE TEFL program. This comprehensive program is available as three different courses to suit the needs of everyone from recent university grads looking to start their career in teaching, to current ESL teachers hoping to boost their credentials.
With Teach Away, you can choose from 100-hour, 120-hour, and 150-hour course options, and you can also select specializations that cater to your interests and teaching goals. But beyond the course material, you’ll also get a leg up when starting your career with a certificate from a globally recognized institution, as well as job assistance through Teach Away.
Here’s what past participants had to say about Teach Away’s course:
· “I have taken numerous online courses over the years, but I have no problem rating this course the best so far. The lessons were well organized and covered a lot of material (history of language, teaching theory, fundamentals of language/grammar).” — Mary
· “The staff at the University of Toronto Teach Away were very patient and friendly. I would certainly recommend this course to anyone who would like to teach English as a foreign language.” — Sandra
TEFLPros offers a fully accredited 120-hour 120-hour TEFL course that combines high-quality instruction with maximum flexibility. The course boasts more than 50 hours of real-life classroom and instructional videos so that you’re sure to get the most bang for your buck.
This course offers preparation in important skills such as lesson planning, managing difficult classroom situations, and preparing classroom materials. And TEFLPros want to make sure you’re happy with the course before you put any money into it; they offer a free full module to students so that you can “try before you buy.” This kind of transparency is hard to beat!
Here’s what past participants had to say about TEFLPros’ course:
· “What I loved about TEFLPros was their abundance of resources made available to me and their real-life examples. I was able to see their teaching applied in classrooms to great effect.” — Alejandro
· “I’m really happy that I chose TEFLPros. I got an offer to teach online almost immediately after finishing the course which made me happy. But more importantly, I felt confident and prepared to start teaching online.” — Marcus
Professional Online TEFL Certification from myTEFL
Another highly-rated program on Go Overseas, myTEFL has a range of certification courses ranging from 40 to 120 hours. Learn everything from the foundations of classroom management to the basics of reading, writing, speaking, and listening. Students will have access to 24/7 tutor and tech support during the three months course, with an additional six months after completion to review materials.
Every graduate will receive a recommendation letter and lifetime job placement assistance which is designed to make your transition into overseas teaching a lot easier. Best of all, with each course enrollment, myTEFL makes a charitable donation to one of their partner organizations.
Here’s what past participants had to say about myTEFL’s course:
· “The layout of the course was fantastic! I like the order of the lessons and quizzes which are all quite useful. The course does have tons of useful information which will help you in your career, so I genuinely feel the company cares about your success.” – Asad
· “I am highly satisfied with the outcome and the course was delivered outstandingly! Perfect and I feel highly confident to commence my TEFL career.” — Daniel
UNI-Prep’s 120-hour online TEFL certification is great for those hoping to jump into their teaching career quickly. According to their website, this course can be completed in 2-4 weeks, although students have up to a year to work through the materials. The course covers classroom management, lesson planning, and language level testing in addition to the basics of reading, writing, and phonics.
Tutor support is available and job search assistance is included. While they don’t screen participants, a high school diploma, and native-level or advanced proficiency in English are required.
Past participants have rated this program highly and praise it for its value and level of instruction.
Here’s what some of UNI-Prep’s alumni had to say about the course:
· “I have enjoyed my experience using this institute. I had the most amazing experience while doing my TESOL course. The course was very insightful and easy to follow through.” — Nisrine
· “The material was easy to access, simple to follow along with, and helpfully summarized by unit tests to check students’ understanding of course content. I especially enjoyed the helpful examples of teaching methods and tools to use in the classroom that were provided with each unit lesson.” – Jane
ITTT Online TEFL/TESOL Course
Whether you’re looking to brush up on your teaching skills or to fulfill a job requirement, ITTT can meet your needs with their 60 to 250-hour TEFL/TESOL certificate. There are also specialized course options such as a 50-hour Teaching Business English and a 50-hour Teaching English to Young Learners. You can choose to complete your online TEFL courses on your own or with a tutor, so you get the proper support.
ITTT’s diplomas are recognized all around the world, so you never have to worry if your credentials will be accepted when you move jobs or locations. Plus, after completing an ITTT TEFL course, you’ll have lifetime access to job assistance services.
Here’s what past participants had to say about ITTT Online TEFL course:
· “I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn or teach English, or just needs to meet the requirements for a job. The time and money efficient course provides tons of useful materials and instructions that prepare you well for lecturing and facilitating activities.” — Txiv
· “At the end of each unit I was more and more excited to move on to the next, and cared more about teaching than when I started. The course material inspired me. The website is very well made and easy to navigate. The course material was challenging yet very comprehensive at the same time.” — James
Premier TEFL offers prospective English teachers a variety of options for undertaking their certification. Whether you go with the industry-standard 120-hour online course or more intensive study, all programs include various perks. You can expect to learn all the basics through their new app and various eBooks which means you can learn wherever you are.
In addition to the course materials, learners can expect to receive expert tutor support throughout the program. Most notably, on completion of your certification, Premier TEFL will provide you with a letter of reference which could come in handy when applying for your first job.
Feeling prepared but not yet confident to start the job search? Internship opportunities exist throughout Asia, Europe, and South America. These short-term teaching experiences will give you a taste of international teaching while helping to build your CV.
Here’s what past participants had to say about Premier TEFL’s course:
· “This was an exceptional learning experience with techniques and tools that I found directly applicable to work situations. I found the instructors did a very effective job of breaking down and explaining the concepts.” — E
· “I enjoyed this course. I think they did an amazing job and I learned a lot! They had a load of info and I felt informed and prepared.” –Mickell
Internationally Recognized TEFL Courses from i-to-i
If you want to go beyond the usual 120-hour course, i-to-i TEFL offers programs up to 320-hours. If you choose to study the courses consisting of 180 hours or more, your bundle will include additional modules such as teaching young learners, business English, grammar awareness, and advanced lesson planning.
These TEFL certifications can be completed solely online or taken as a hybrid option with two days of classroom experience with qualified and knowledgeable tutors. All courses provide a minimum of 120 hours of materials along with support and feedback from DELTA (diploma provided by Cambridge English) qualified tutors.
Once you are fully certified, i-to-i offers paid internship opportunities in China and Vietnam, and an unpaid placement in Thailand. All three programs include accommodation and range from 7 weeks to 5 months. This could be a good way to break into the international TEFL world without a year commitment.
Here’s what past participants had to say about i-to-i’s course:
· “These courses go in-depth in the areas you will need to know and practice when going out to teach English internationally. The grammar lessons proved very practical, the extra material offered to buy also helped out greatly (teaching guides).” — Sarah
· “The i-to-i site is so helpful, you can find resources, jobs, and chat with people like you. The courses are well set out, easy to follow, and understand, and the support is second to none.” – Lizzie
Maximo Nivel offers a 100-hour completely online TEFL certification that includes live teaching practice. While other online courses require in-person teaching practice, with Maximo Nivel you can conduct your 6-hour practicum with real language learners who live via Skype. These sessions will be observed by your trainer who will give you constructive feedback to improve your skills.
Maximo Nivel focuses on support and guarantees 10 hours of face-to-face personal tutor support via Skype or Zoom during your course. This will allow you to receive advice, hear critiques of your classwork and teaching, and ask any questions you may have. After successful completion of the course, students have access to lifetime job search support which means you always have someone in your corner throughout your teaching career.
Here’s what past participants had to say about Maximo Nivel’s course:
· “My favorite part was my online teaching practicum. I loved teaching online and the thought of being able to teach anyone in the world from my living room is so cool!.” — Madi
· “I learned so much about myself and teaching, as well as speaking the English language in general.” — Mia