Table of Contents
Rita Mae Brown, an American feminist said that “ Language is a road map of culture”. Learning a new language broadens your linguistic set. Many times it may open new opportunities in academics, tourism, and work. The German language is the official language in Germany. It is also the official language in Austria.
It is one of the recognized official languages of Switzerland. Just making Germany a popular language in European countries. The challenge, however, remains on how to learn it. How to learn the German language is the question that arises in the mind of many. Let us know more about the ways to learn the German language Course.
Before we dive deep into learning the German language, let us understand how to go about learning it. Learning the basics is mandatory. What would be basics be? Well, the basics can be first learning the alphabet order. Know the pronunciation of each alphabet. The next would be using these alphabets to make words. Knowing words and their pronunciations. These words help to expand the vocabulary. Once the basics are done, we can say we learned the basic German language.
With these basic words, we now have to add grammar and form sentences. We need to learn the linguistic cases for males and females. One needs to know the conjugations. The context in which these sentences are to be spoken also needs to be known. We know practice makes it perfect. To put what is learned is necessary. Therefore it would be advantageous if the German language is practiced on a regular basis. You can have a language-speaking partner or a one on one tutor. When you practice speaking, that is the time you know that mastery over the German language is achieved.
Learning the German language may look difficult, but not possible. To learn the German language one has to be dedicated. Dedication is required in putting efforts to learn the language. Dedicated time to practicing the learned German language is important. There are various methods to learn the German language. One can learn the German language offline or online. The German language can be learned either free or paid. Many also try and enroll in classes via app or at a coaching center. The German consulate to offers courses at beginner and advanced levels.
Some learners opt for tandem partners to help them in grasping the spoken and written language with ease. Before choosing the mode to learn the German language it is necessary to evaluate the most feasible options. To know that lets us see various ways in which one can learn the German language. One can start learning the German language for free by beginning it at home. This can be ideal for beginners who are still testing waters.
Self-learning the German language at home with self
As mentioned it is for beginners who want to test the waters. This mode of learning the German language can be slow and at the pace of the learner. While learning it at home, one can follow the steps given below:
- Learn and master the alphabet – Master the alphabet with its vowels and consonants. Also, know the pronunciation of each alphabet
- Learn words – After learning the alphabet, start learning words. To make learning The German language easy, start with easy words. One can also include important words that are used daily to start with words. Words, like please (bitte), or thank you (Dankeschön), can be learned.
- Basic grammar – This section could be done at home or with the help of a tutor. In this section, one tries to learn the basics of grammar. It is very important to master it. Learning the parts of speech is crucial for both the written and spoken parts. First, begin with very basic sentences like How are you (Wie geht’s?), or You’re welcome (Bitteschön). Once the basics are mastered and expression of tenses and mood changes are known. Complex sentences can be taken upon with practice.
- Speaking in the German language with peers regularly – Practice makes a man perfect. Regularly interact and speak in German with someone who knows the language fluently.
- Listen to music and watch German movies – It may be difficult initially, but with time it becomes easy to understand the language as well know the perfect pronunciation.
Learn the German language using videos or Podcast
Videos provide an excellent audio-visual medium to learn The German language. There are many videos on YouTube that can help understand the German language. Bibis Beauty Palace, Aile Rebecca, pallet, and German Lets Play are a few YouTube channels. The YouTube channels have diverse content from cooking to travel. The content gets refreshed time and again and is very informative. The same goes for German video games.
In a podcast too along with the sound of language, a range of different accents can be learned. GermanPod101 is a popular podcast channel. This channel offers thousands of podcasts to students. In this podcast, the objective is to help students learn the German language. Listening to the tutors helps the students to pronounce the sentences. A podcast can go a long way in helping learn the German language with ease.
Learning the German language with language books
Books are an excellent way of learning the German language. Books can kick-start the learning process for beginners. Given below is a list of a few books that will be helpful
- For beginners, the books recommended help to get a hang of the German language. Language Hacking German (Benny Lewis), the book comes with an audiobook. The book is divided into chapters that cover basic conversation. A conversation about self, polite conversation, etc. The Everything Learning German Book: Speak, write, and understand basic German in no time” – Edward Swick, and German Made Simple: Learn to speak and understand German quickly and easily” – Arnold Leitner Ph.D. are also a few books that would prove helpful
- For intermediate level learners – Intermediate German: A Grammar and Workbook (2nd Edition), Sammelsurium: A Reader & Workbook for Intermediate German, and Schaum’s Outline of German Grammar (5th Edition) are a few books that come in handy. These books help learners to understand complex sentences. The books have over 400 exercises to master the language.
- For advanced level learners – To understand the deep insight into the German language, advanced learners can rely on a few books. Handbuch zur Deutschen Grammatik, 5th edition is recommended.
- There are a few audiobooks too that may help in brushing up the German language when learned. Learn German the easy way 2019 is one such book
Learning the German language using apps
The new Z generation learns lot many things on web devices. There are a few apps that help learners learn the German language. There are a few apps that are available for adults as well as kids.
Apps for adults –
Rosetta Stone – This app is a paid app for 12 euros per month and is available for both Android and iOs phones. The app uses an interactive mode for learning. The user can switch language modes to English to understand better. The app uses pictures, text, and audio to make learning easy. Another feature of this application is where the learner can interact live with tutors.
Memrise – This app keeps the original teaching approach to teaching the German language. The app has a spaced-repetition scheme to optimise the learning retention process. This way the learner always can revise what was learned previously and then move to learn the next lesson. The app is available for free for both Andriod and ios phones.
Anki – The app works on the flashcards mode for learning vocabulary. A user can make his/ her own flashcards. The app is free for Andriod users. IoS users have to pay 20.99 euros to subscribe to this app.
Apps for kids –
Duolingo – The app was developed keeping in mind the help learn basic grammar and vocabulary. To make learning fun, lessons are divided into smaller classes with interactive modes. The learner is encouraged to play against time and win to stay on the course of learning. Users can also track their progress with the help of tests. The app is available for free for both Android and IoS users.
Mindsnack – The app makes learning easy. The mode of approach to teaching is via using games. There are 9 game sets made with an objective to teach fundamentals of grammar and vocabulary. Audio-video interactive is used while teaching through this app. The app is available for free for both Andriod and ios phones.
Study Cat – The app teaches fundamentals of learning ie reading, listening, and pronunciation. The course is designed such that it is fun-filled to make the learning fun. The importance of using words and phrases in the correct context is also taught. The app is available for free for both Andriod and ios phones.
Understanding the pros and cons while learning the German language on phone apps
- Pros – While learning on the app it can be done at ease and with your pace. Learning on the app can keep up with travel to work. A student does not have to stop learning even while traveling. As long as a student has an internet connection, learning can take place at any place and anytime.
- Cons – An app can only be as effective as its user. While learning on app, there is no constructive feedback given to the learner. This can act as a stumbling stone since the learner never can gauge if the learned language is up to the mark. Though learning via app gives a sense of non-stop learning, it can quickly also push a learner into too much or too little mode. The language may or may not be learned at the required speed and with an adequate amount of concentration.
Learning the German language online
Many learners opt to learn the German language online. For these learners, there are many options. They can learn through websites or through online classes from institutes. There are many websites that offer courses online that helps in grasping the German language. Websites offer to learn for free as well as paid.
Websites that help learn the German language for free
- GlobalExam – It is a dedicated e-learning platform, that has helped many learn and master the German language. Real-life scenarios are also brought up to master the language. The courses are structured with scripts in real work scenarios to correct the language in the native language. The website offers group video conferencing courses. It is a predetermined program to be done either as individuals or in a small group.
- Busuu – A learner can log in to the website and open an account. Once done the learner can start learning the German language for free. Courses available on these sites are for beginners, elementary, intermediate, advanced, and travel levels. Taking a test is mandatory to clear the levels.
- Learnalanguage.com – The site offers courses on the basis of language acquisition. A learner learns the language in modules like words, grammar, usage of phrases, and a dedicated German dictionary. There is also a blog that is dedicated to learning the German language. A learner can put this to use and master the language.
Paid websites that help learn the German language
- GlobalExam – By paying 29.90 euros a learner can subscribe to the website. Though the website offers free courses, paid ones have their own advantage. The advantage comes in form of 100 mock tests, 50,000 exercises that correct your grammar. The biggest advantage is 45 specialised courses to suit the learner’s need.
- Babbel – The website caters to the needs of the learner from beginner to advanced levels. The USP of the site is the speech recognition tool. The tool helps to improve vocabulary and pronunciation. The first session is offered free by the website. Once the learner gets a hands-on, the subscription can be sought. The website also has an app named Babbel. This again helps the learner to keep track of the progress made.
- Deutsch online – Reading, listening, writing, and speaking are the four pillars of learning a language. The website is designed based on these principles. Various learning modes are available. One-on-one tutoring is possible too. A diploma degree is conferred on the learner at the completion of the course.
Learn the German language online with institutes
Sometimes it may be cumbersome for a learner to learn without a tutor. But learning going to institutes physically too may not be possible. In such a scenario there are institutes that offer courses online with help of tutors.
- Henry Harvin language academy – The academy offers German Language courses at A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, and C2 levels. The A course is of 56 hours each. The B and C courses are 66 hours each. The academy offers live online interactive classrooms sessions with experienced tutors. The tutors are professionals with over 15 plus years of experience. They have delivered more than 350+ lectures, and have been keynote speakers at various occasions. The tutors have helped more than 1000 students clear their exams successfully.
The course comes with a Gold membership benefit for its students. The benefit is in terms of recorded lectures and videos. Free boot camp sessions and global guaranteed internship with Henry Harvin and its working partners. The students are also helped in placements and internship programs, which help them get a cutting edge over others. Boot camps and hackathons come in handy in the journey of learning the German language.
- Udemy German courses – The USP is that the academy offers courses that are tailor-made to suit the requirements of the learner. The course fees vary depending on the need of the learner. The instructor-led programs are very impressive and they come with a 30-day money-back offer. More than 300,000 students have benefited from learning the German language with the academy.
- Language Pantheon – The academy boasts of 70 plus experienced tutors, who give teach in online classrooms. The support team is available to students 24×7. Dedicated Whatsapp groups are provided to provide assistance to students with faculty to clear doubts. The course is available from A 1, A2, B1, B2, C1, and C2 levels. Every batch is formed to match the student’s requirement to learn the language. Weekdays and weekends and super fast batches are available.
Learn the German language with institutes
- Cambridge institute – The institute has regular batches throughout the week for 2 hours. They also have special weekend batches. They train the students so that they can excel in the international exams. The students are trained for the Goethe Institute Certification. They have courses for intermediate as well as advanced levels. The exams are conducted based on the standard pattern.
- ASAP German Language Institute – The institute has over 9 years of experience in teaching, translating, and editing. The institute offers courses at all levels. The teaching methodology is using visual charts, video clipping, and audio labs. The institute backs a list of successful candidates who are cruising in various sectors of the industry.
- Sprachenatelier Language Studio – Trains students for the German language tests and has a very high success record. It goes beyond the traditional way of teaching and educates students about the various cultural and belief aspects of German. They help prepare students for the TestDaF Examination, DSH Examination, and Telc Examination
Creative ways to keep in touch with the German language
With learning comes practicing. It is very important that the language is practiced daily so that easy recall is possible. While speaking with someone every day may not be possible. So, the next question could be how to keep in touch with the language and how to keep recollecting the words. Given below are a few fun tactics:
- Every phone has language settings. Change the language setting in German. This works two ways. First, the daily dose of the language and brushing up the commonly used phrases can happen. It also keeps your privacy intact, so even if someone snoops into your phone, it is highly impossible to understand what is written in your chats.
- Read the newspaper. If reading a newspaper in German is not possible you can access the .de net and read from websites in the German language.
- Write the normal things that you commonly use in German
- Play games in the German language either on your cell phone or on the gaming box
- Cook recipes that are written in German, this will help you know the German name of the ingredients and brush up on the language.
Learning the German language may look like an uphill task. But with dedication and consistent efforts, it will reap benefits. Knowing the German language will help professionals get better work opportunities. For students, it would mean studying in renowned government institutes with minimum fees. For travelers, the experience may multiply manifold.
- Top 10 German Language Courses in Chennai
- Top 10 German Language classes in Bangalore with Jobs
- Top 11 German Language Courses in Pune
- Top 10 German Language Course in Delhi
- Top 10 German Language Courses Online
- Top 10 German Language Courses in Gurgaon
FAQsQ 1. How long does it take to learn the German language?
Ans.According to the US foreign service institute, it takes approximately 750 hours or in simple language 36 weeks to learn the German language. But to become a master and speak the language fluently, it may take a few tears of practice.Q 2. How does one know if they’re fluent in the German language?
Ans.To each his own, there is no yardstick as such to known fluency. It is commonly acknowledged that if a person knows about 10,000 words of the language, they are considered fluent.Q 3. Is it possible to find job opportunities in Germany?
Ans.Medical personnel, engineers, and IT jobs are in great demand in Germany. The population of Germany is aging, hence the demand for fresh recruiters is always high. You can search the EURES site to look for jobsQ 4. Does knowing the German language mandatory in European countries?
Ans. While English is spoken widely across the globe. German is a popular language in European countries. Knowing the German language definitely is advantageous.
French Language Training
Henry Harvin® provides the best platform for French Language | Many multinational companies use French as their working language| We help you to acquire knowledge of this language that will help you to touch skyscrapers in your career | Gain Fluency with the Completion of A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2 Levels of French Language | Master the French Language and Ace the important French Language Exams such as DILF, DELF, DALF, DCL, & TCF
Spanish Language Training
Designed as per the DELE and SIELE Exams conducted by Instituto Cervantes | Native Speaking Trainers to help your overall Spanish Language Skills | Converse fluently with peers | Multiple Simulation Exams | 100% Practical Training
German Language Training
Henry Harvin® provides the best platform for the German Language Course | Werden Sie Spezialist für die Deutsche Sprache | One of the 10 most commonly spoken languages in the world and official language in Germany, Austria, Liechtenstein, and Switzerland | Master the German Language Course and Ace all the important German language exams such as DSH, the TestDaF, Goethe- Institut ExaminationsExplore Popular Category
This is an informative post. Got a lot of info and details about how to learn the german language from here. Thank you for sharing this and looking forward to reading more of your articles.
I want to learn german language online then I search how to learn the german language and I found your blog and its really have great contain and am clear my all doubts. Wants to know more about the course details.
You get lots of relevant and irrelevant information on How to learn the German language easily when you search for it. But, here this blog is very helpful and guides you to choose the right manner to master that language. The key to that is to set the aim of learning the German language and work towards achieving the desired proficiency in the language.
Many exceptional courses help you learn the German Language easily, and HENRY HARVIN’s German language course is one such course that offers complete upskilling for the learner.
Learning the German language through a course is the best way to attain proficiency in the language. Training and practice are both provided by most courses that help to master the language and also, start a career in this field.
Motivation and willpower are the key elements to learning German easily. Also, practice the common words, nouns, verbs, etc regularly to get a good grip on the German language basics. The time taken to be well-versed in the language depends on the person doing the course. But, it is not a very difficult task to learn basic German.
Thanks to the author and HENRY HARVIN for providing the complete beginner’s guide on how to learn German. It was very enriching and gave me an idea of how to pursue my German language education.
With so many options around us, there is no difficulty in learning the German language. So, grab the best course or app to master the language easily.
I recommend HENRY HARVIN to learn the German language through their most convenient and fruitful course. All the features of their course are very beneficial to learn and mastering the language at multiple levels. I started taking up freelance German translation projects after doing this course. It played an instrumental part in shaping my freelancing career.
The course comes with a Gold membership benefit for its students. The benefit is in terms of recorded lectures and videos. Free boot camp sessions and global guaranteed internship with Henry Harvin and its working partners.
The students are also helped in placements and internship programs, which help them get a cutting edge over others and maintain the knowledge which helps the person to be knowledgeable and can enhance the skills.
Loads of practice along with intense training are needed to master a foreign language. Any German Language course may not offer these and so, choosing the best is a bothersome task. But at Henry Harvin, I completely enjoyed doing the course as well as the Internship. Also, the weekly job listings helped me understand the various opportunities for a linguist.
Learning the German language may look difficult, but not possible. To learn the German language one has to be dedicated. Dedication is required in putting efforts to learn the language. Dedicated time to practicing the learned German language is important.
Good day, sir. I’m interested in learning German. I want to sign up, therefore could you help advise me on this course.
Thank you for providing such useful information. You write things in a really clear and concise manner. I am quite lucky to have received this advice from you.
Thank you for sharing this information. Keep up the good work on how to learn german language.
Normally, I do not read blog posts, but I feel compelled to do so after reading this one! I am pleasantly surprised by your writing style.
Thank you for your help. I really enjoy what you’ve written here and wish you luck with your blog. Thank you for sharing this wonderful information on how to learn german language.
Your blog always shares some useful amount of information and I am really glad after reading this kind of information and thanks for sharing this information with us.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge on how to learn german language. Excellent blog and article. It’s quite beneficial to me
Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Excellent blog and article. It’s quite beneficial to me, and I’m looking forward to reading more fresh posts on how to learn german language.
This is one of the most important blog for me because it is sharing very informative blog on how to learn german language. I highly appreciate your work.
It was difficult to compete with your work! I was just scrolling through and came across this excellent work on how to learn german language.
It was a beneficial learning experience. I’ve enrolled in Henry Harvin’s german language Program. The teaching style is effective, and the best part is that the instructor assigns many group projects and thoroughly explains the subject with examples. It was the easiest way of how to learn german language.
I just finished reading this site and found the information to be really useful and I hope to see more from you in the future.
This article provided me with a lot of enjoyment. It is, without a doubt, the most wonderful piece I have ever read on how to learn german language.
I just finished reading this article, and the information is quite useful; I hope to see more from you in the future. I also have a lot of the same type of information on how to learn german language.
I visited your blog and found it to be very informative. I appreciate the information you offered and think you did an excellent work
I had a great time reading your article, and the information you provided is quite useful. Continue to update your blog with relevant information on how to learn german language
This is a fantastic blog post, and I appreciate you sharing it with the community!
I’m a regular reader of your blog, and everything you’ve written is fantastic
It was a fantastic piece to read very interestingly. You’ve written a good article and thank you for providing this information.
The manner you’ve written the site has really pleased me. I’m sure we’re all looking forward to enjoying such a post from you.
Thank you so much for the post I enjoy your writing, and everything you share with us is interesting.
Some truly fantastic information, I’m glad I came across this. I must say, you’ve done an outstanding work
Thank you for sharing such information with us. Please keep posting this kind of informative article.
After reading this I am very happy with the high quality of work and thought-provoking ideas. I simply wanted to express my gratitude to the author and wish you the best of luck.
Thank you so much for sharing such fantastic stuff with us on how to learn german language and I’ve bookmarked your page for future posts.
I just finished reading your site and found it to be extremely informative. Thank you for sharing this information on how to learn german language.
This is an excellent article. It’s an easy one. I like it a lot. Thank you for sharing this fantastic article how to learn german language
I want to express my appreciation for sharing this beneficial information on how to learn german language. Keep up the good work. I look forward to reading your future post.
I simply want to thank you for providing this useful piece of information with us on how to learn german language
Thank you for sharing this fantastic blog with us on how to learn german language. I enjoy reading your blog because it is both instructive and entertaining.
This article amazed me, and this website has always provided me with good news. Thank you so much for such a fascinating article on how to learn german language
I read this article and found it to be very interesting. You have mentioned all of the relevant details in a concise manner.
Thank you so much for taking the time to provide this fantastic blog on how to learn german language. This knowledge is extremely beneficial to us.
Amazing information on how to learn german language and i really like such kind of information
I’m quite impressed and everything is quite open, and the difficulties are explained very clearly. It is genuinely informative article on how to learn german language.
This is a fantastic article on how to learn german language and this is a very interesting article to read. This is quite beneficial. Thank you very much for sharing this useful knowledge.
Your blog is quite interesting, and I am confident that it will be beneficial to many people. Thank you for making these available.
I found your article while searching for information on this subject. I’m glad I found your blog and the information I was looking for.
Thank you for the really useful information. Keep up the wonderful work on your blog. Amazing article on how to learn german language.
Thank you for giving this useful knowledge. We’ll forward it to our readers. This is a fantastic article on how to learn german language
Nice article on how to learn german language and this is one of the amazing information you are sharing
It is such a wonderful blog on how to learn german language