Table of Contents
“Effective Communication is a skill and not a natural talent”
Importance of Effective Communication
Communication skills are the most empowering of all skills. People with effective communication skills stand out in the crowd. Practical communication skills help you develop, an aura of self-confidence that, is very attractive. It is no hidden fact that good communication skills benefit you personally and professionally. It is one of the basic skills one has to acquire. A lack of effective communication skills will hide you in the shadows of anonymity. Everything organization insists on good communication skills, therefore it is a primary requirement for a successful career. If you are a good communicator you are already one step ahead of others in your career. There are different types of communication skills one needs to master to be a good communicator. Verbal, Non-verbal, and digital skills are some of them.
The importance of communication skills is well established in school and undergraduate curricula. Communication skills are taught as a subject so that the candidates develop these skills quite early.
‘Having excellent communication skills both spoken and written,’ is a familiar line in many Job descriptions of companies. It is easier to get hired by companies if your communication skills are excellent. However, there is no particular age or season to learn this skill, nor is it very difficult. It is easy to start when you know the top ways of effective communication and its benefits.
There are many types of communication, however, this blog aims to highlight only the important skills that will build a good personality. Check out the list of ways you can improve your communication skills.
The course below by Henry Harvin might be helpful to develop effective communication.
An English-speaking and writing course is the right one for you if you wish to develop effective communication skills.
Henry Harvin is an excellent online platform to learn these skills. The course gives training in two types of communication. Spoken and Written.
English Speaking Course
Become confident when you gain mastery over English, the language of the world. You can become proficient with live interactive and 100% practical classes. Learn the fundamentals like pronunciation, spelling vocabulary, and diction. At the end of the course, you will be able to read difficult texts, with perfect ease and speed. Get trained in understanding native speakers that will help you understand their accents. Become an expert in words commonly used in conversation. Learn to write long paragraphs quickly.
- The course follows the Common European Framework (CEFR)
- Reputed trainers with more than 12 years of expertise
- Several organizations trained by Henry Harvin. Delivered 120 keynote English classes
- Dedicated speaking classes
- Levels of training to suit your requirement
- Make Projects in English speaking
- Get Internship support to learn the English Language
Certified English Writing Course
Get trained to become an expert in English writing skills, with practical classes. Learn as per the Common European Framework(CEFR) methods. Learn from basics, from sentence formation to writing paragraphs. Included in the course are pronunciation, spelling, vocabulary, and diction. Get practical training to write long paragraphs quickly. Different levels of training meet your requirements.
Learn to understand accents and respond well in a conversation. Learn to understand concepts and ideas on any topic. Be trained in Advanced English Grammar. Gain confidence in both written and speaking skills.
Top Features of both these Courses
- It is an inclusive 9-in-1 course. Projects, internships, certifications, and placements are included in the course.
- E-Learning access. Learn from all the tools, techniques, videos, and assessments.
- Masterclass to develop soft skills
- Avail Gold Membership benefits for a year
- Guaranteed Placements
- Join Internship after course completion
- 100% money-back guarantee
Other courses by Henry Harvin
Contact:91 9891953953 for more details.
The top Effective communication skills are listed below.
1. Active Listening in Effective Communication
Listening is a basic skill for effective communication. It is an essential part of good and fruitful communication. Listening solves many problems in personal and professional life.
A good communicator is genuinely interested in what others have to say. They assure people of their attention. Moreover, the person who is being heard is pleased to be heard and understood.
Listening also helps you understand other people’s points of view. A good listener is also a good problem-solver as he understands the issues and makes a way to tackle the problem. Listening skill is also a fine leadership quality.
A good leader has to first listen because his/her subordinates want them to. You are approachable when you listen patiently. People will listen to you when you listen to them. You can become a better speaker when you listen. Moreover, there is no misunderstanding when you are an active listener and keep your focus on what is said. Your productivity in the workplace is increased when you listen to instructions or guidelines and follow them.
Tips to develop listening skills.
- Face the speaker when he is speaking
- Pay attention to what is said.
- Maintain eye contact
- Do not interrupt
- Encourage the speaker with positive body language
- Do not talk when others are talking
- Give feedback.
- Do not jump to conclusions before you come to the end.
- Make notes if you have to ask a question or remember anything
- Nod your head to show you understand
- Do not ask people to repeat what they have already said.
2. Clarity in Effective Communication
Clear communication is key to getting the message understood by everyone. The message has to be clear both in writing and speaking, leaving no room for any doubt. The clarity in both written and verbal communication is important as it prevents misinterpretation and misunderstanding of the message.
The message and its goal should be clear and easily understood. Explain one idea at a time and expand it. Mixing up ideas will surely confuse the readers. Use the right words. Be specific with words. Vague words will add confusion and misinterpret the message.
Simplicity is the key to clarity.
Keep your points simple for everyone on your team to understand. The clarity in writing also includes the use of simple language and vocabulary. Your thoughts should not be stuffed with high-sounding words and highly polished sentences that confuse the readers and the listeners.
The purpose of the message should not be lost due to a lack of understanding. Don’t overload your speech or text with unnecessary and excess information.
Tips to develop clarity in speaking and writing
- Check the simplicity of the language
- Use simple words, depending on the audience and the purpose
- Construct simple sentences
- Avoid long sentences and use of phrases, idioms, proverbs, or any other idea which is complicated to explain.
- Now the ability of your audience and the purpose of the interaction
- Proofread your document
- Avoid using vague words
- Know your audience and their background
3. Non-Verbal Communication
Gestures, body language, posture, eye contact, Space distancing, facial expressions, and the tone of your voice play an important role in developing effective communication skills.
Right Gestures and facial expressions are crucial to effective communication. Sit upright when in conversation. An upright posture and little hand gestures like open palms, and hand movements indicate great confidence. Unnecessary and too many hand gestures may distract the listeners from what you are saying.
Stand upright and face the audience while giving a presentation or when explaining a point. Nod your head when you are listening. A handshake needs to be firm, A limp hand-shake indicates a lack of confidence, distrust, and lack of enthusiasm.
A smile adds immense charm to a pleasing personality. It shows that you can be trusted and are approachable. A person with a cheerful and friendly nature attracts attention. Therefore the audience will be open to the idea you put out.
It is important to respect another person’s physical space while talking with them. Maintain a certain distance, standing too close to a person may make them feel uncomfortable and distract them. Not respecting a person’s personal space shows you are an arrogant and dominating person. People will distrust you and may avoid your company.
Should be maintained to show people you are interacting with that you are interested in what is happening or what is being said. It also indicates that you are paying attention. Lack of eye contact indicates non-involvement and lack of interest in the subject and hostility. However maintaining eye contact for a longer time than necessary, and staring at the person may make them uncomfortable.
4. Empathy in Effective Communication
Understanding other people’s emotions and motives is the best way to develop good relationships in both professional and private lives. People and Organizations, in general, are looking at empathy in communications within the organizations and with clients. Empathy allows you to recognize other peoples’ moods and emotions. You are better prepared to deal with conflicts when you are interested in the other person’s perspective of the situation.
Today empathy is also regarded as a key leadership skill. Therefore, during challenging times empathetic communication will tell people, of your concern, care, and genuine interest in people associated with you.
You can communicate your ideas better when you are mindful because you understand the feelings, and challenges of others. Moreover, empathy helps you accommodate others’ points of view.
On the whole, being compassionate creates good team bonding and better work culture, whereas, autocratic and rude behavior leads to toxic work culture and distrust.
Tips to develop effective communication with Empathy
- Acknowledge feelings of anxiety, sadness, or frustration in people
- Use words of encouragement and support
- Show appreciation where it is needed
- Be honest and transparent
- Listen when people speak
- Ask questions to understand better
Feedback is important in effective communication as it allows you to check the effect of the message. Analyze the response to the message delivered. Feedback enables greater improvement, better understanding, and greater confidence.
The performance is better when the feedback is taken positively. Moreover, engagement with clients and customers is improved with effective feedback.
Feedback in the workplace creates a positive environment because it allows employees to improve and share critical issues. It helps in team building, as all of them work to reach their goals with proper feedback.
Feedback also helps in personal growth, take feedback from people you trust and improve in the areas you are lacking.
Tips for developing Feedback
- Encourage feedback in the workplace
- Train employees to take feedback positively
- Differentiate between good and bad feedback
- Ask questions to clarify doubts about the feedback
- Train employees to give effective feedback
- Set a goal for the feedback
- Use different ways to get feedback
- Take proactive decisions based on feedback
6. Public Speaking
The main purpose of public speaking is to inform, entertain, and persuade. It is an important aspect of effective communication. You represent your company or you put forth an idea in public speaking. The audience forms an opinion about you, your company, or the idea based on the effectiveness of the speech.
The first impression will be the best. Fear of public speaking makes people timid. However, there are many tips to overcome this fear. Prepare and practice. Stick to the point make it interesting, keep it crisp connect with the audience. Call to action. Use words that are pleasant and simple. Inspire the audience with thoughts and ideas that are inspiring and idealistic.
Deliver a speech that has a lasting effect. Areas that require public speaking skills are meetings, presentations, and speeches on special and general occasions. A confident speaker is respected and sought after. They are always in the limelight. You may lose opportunities in the future if you lack confidence in public speaking.
Tips to develop public speaking skills
- Plan your speech, and write the main points down.
- Organize your thoughts, and ideas
- Be comfortable with gestures and facial expressions
- Practice the speech beforehand, in front of your friends or colleagues or a mirror.
- Check if you are using the right tone and voice modulation to keep the audience engaged.
- Take a deep breath, and an occasional pause will calm and help you gather your thoughts.
- Check your posture and facial expressions
- Engage the audience with analogies and real-life experiences and practical insights.
- Start with a good introduction
7. Effective communication in Presentation Skills
Presentation skills in effective communication
Connecting and engaging with the audience are the key features of presentation skills. The presentation should be impactful. Therefore the goal of the presentation should be clear. Keep the presentation very simple.
Starting well, is a job half done so start well. Master the skill by making your presentation interactive. Add some practical experiences. Be enthusiastic about the topic you are talking about.
Use voice modulation to keep the listeners alert. Moreover, add visual aids to add variety to your presentation. Keep the audience interested in the topic. Be thorough with the topic, as it builds confidence. Organize the presentation well which helps in the easy flow of ideas.
Be genuine and honest. Generate curiosity in the audience, even a serious topic can be made exciting with the right examples, visuals, and active interaction. Summarize in brief at the end and state the objective of the presentation.
Tips to have good presentation skills
- Prepare and practice beforehand
- Fix focus on clarity
- Avoid unnecessary and extra information
- Know your audience so you can plan accordingly
- Ask questions to engage the audience
- Be prepared to answer questions
- Ask the audience to make a choice
- Practice gestures before the presentation
- Maintain a pleasant cheerful face till the end
- Do not hurry as it shows anxiety
- Maintain your enthusiasm for the topic till the end
Influencing other people to perform a task, or convince them to accept an idea is an effective communication skill. Persuasion skill helps you to perform better in your job. It helps you to negotiate a deal or sell a product or an idea. Moreover, it also helps in employing staff and increasing productivity.
Pitch ideas to your management. Bring change to the organization and solve conflicts. Persuasion skills are also used to motivate and challenge a team to perform better.
Today, persuasion is the most in-demand skill, therefore this skill will help you to climb the ladder of success. Persuasive writing is also an effective communication skill. So, Social Media employs persuasion to market and promote products and ideas.
Tips for developing good persuasion skills
- Be a motivator
- Build trust
- Give importance to teamwork
- Listen attentively
- Develop good relationships
- Learn the art of negotiation
- Be prepared before you present your idea
- Use facts to convince and persuade
- Present both advantages and disadvantages of an idea
- Show a positive outlook, it’s contagious
9. Digital Communication in Effective Communication Skills
This is the age of digital communication. Digital communication took prominence after covid-19, lockdowns, and WFH. Master digital communication skills if you want to succeed in your career.
The use of online tools like messaging, texting, emails, and social media posts is part of digital communication. Meetings via video conference and communication through email and text are the new norm.
Upgrade your digital skills to stay ahead in your career. These skills are needed both in personal and professional life. Key skills in digital communication are knowing the use of the right devices, the right software, and the right applications.
Learn to share information, and handle data and security systems. Career options and job openings are advertised on digital platforms and websites, therefore the benefits of digital skills are numerous. Use digital skills to your advantage. Get maximum benefits with amazing technology.
Tips for Developing Digital skills
- Be brief and specific
- Check your messages, emails, or text before you send
- Research to gain more information
- Learn to schedule your video conference meetings
- Pick up etiquette in video, text and other communications
- Be respectful and courteous in your messages
- Appearance matters even in video calls. Dress well to impress.
- Learn to speak clearly and to the point
- Good posture when attending video conference meetings
- Speak clearly when attending Job Interviews on call.
Why does Communication fail?
Effective communication fails when you are timid and lack confidence. Focus on overcoming your fear and practice skills that develop self-confidence. Pay attention to what is said. Communication also fails when you judge another person and are not compassionate and disrespectful. Do not give unnecessary advice to others as they may not appreciate it. Be mindful of others. Manipulation fails good communication. Not encouraging feedback and not taking steps to improve prevent effective communication.
Benefits of developing effective communication skills
- Get better career options
- recognition in the workplace
- Develops Trust
- Encourages team building
- Job satisfaction
- Become a good leader
- Increase your productivity
- Learn Problem-solving skills
- Helps in Conflict management
- Learn the art of Negotiation
- Develops Presentation skill
Excellent communication skills is the key to a successful career. The importance of effective communication cannot be stressed more. As John Maxwell says, ‘Effective communication is a skill and not a natural talent’. Therefore anyone interested to develop these skills can do so without fear and hesitation. Many courses on communication skills both offline and online will help you acquire this skill. Check out the free videos on various platforms to help you. Make the best use of the time you have. Without putting it off, take up the challenge to master communication skills and have a successful career.
- Top 10 English Speaking Courses in Kanpur
- Top 12 English Speaking Courses in Kolkata
- Top 10 English Speaking courses in Jaipur
- Top 8 English Speaking Classes in Ahmedabad
Yes, Knowledge of the English language is essential to master communication skills. However, you can master communication skills in other languages also and find career options as well.
There are many institutes that teach communication skills. They train you to speak and write better. There are also courses on personality development that will help you build a good personality.
The fee for the courses is reasonable. Some courses like English speaking course is charged by the hour.
Yes, there are interview coaches who train you to attend interviews confidently. You will get trained in techniques and strategies to answer interview questions.
You have to learn and practice, active listening, presentation, non-verbal communication, and feedback as they are important communication skills .