Wipro is the world’s first CMMi* level 5 certified software company. Earlier it was a vegetable oil company and converted itself into global IT services giant after liberalisation. Now as they changed its field of operations. They faced a lot of problems. Managers felt that there was a need of aligning business operations with costumer needs and continuous improvement. Therefore, Wipro began moving towards focus on Quality, thereby creating a learning environment that lead to implementation of six sigma. I hope now you people have a fair idea of what six sigma is.
Now you people must be thinking that what is the need of six sigma? Why they had taken the help of six sigma? Is there no other way to solve the problems? Before answering such questions , let us see what challenges did they face.
- Reduce the data transfer time.
- Reduce the risk
- Avoid interpretation due to LAN/WAN downtime.
- Parallel availability of the switch for the other administrative tasks during the same period.
They decided to solve such problems by implementing six sigma.
At Wipro, six sigma meant :
- To have products and services meet global benchmark.
- Ensure robust processes within the organisation.
- Consistently meet & exceed costumer expectation.
- Make quality a culture within.
Remember we get salaries only by serving our customers. If our customers are not happy. Then the job you are working for or the business you have started, will never flourish. So it was important for the organisation to meet the quality standard so that their costumers are satisfied.
Now it is not possible to not have problems when we introduce a new program to any organisation.
Yes, Wipro did face challenges while implementing six sigma and they were as following :
- Permission for high level managers was required.
- Restructuring of organisation to provide infrastructure, training and confidence in process was required.
- Wipro had to select the project on the basis of high probability of their success and targeted to complete them in short period to assess the success.
- In order to select the project, the field data was collected and the process map was developed.
- First step of implementation was to build a team of professionals and train them for various stages of six sigma.
Did you guys just read the previous sentence? Wipro started training their employees for various stages of six sigma. A company will never ever train its employees for no reason. If a company is doing it. It means they are going to reap benefits of Six Sigma.
Challenges that they faced :
- To find right kind of people and train them was a difficult job. This motivated Wipro to start their own consultancy to train people.
- It was difficult to identify resources that were required for short term and long term basis.
- Experts were appointed to see the timelines, find out the gap, weak areas and to check the outcome as per the plan.
For all this to be a success, Wipro has evolved following six sigma methodologies : For developing new processes :
- DEVELOPING SIX SIGMA SOFTWARE(DSSS METHODOLOGY) : For software development that ensures defect free delivery and lower customer cost of application development.
- DESIGNING SIX SIGMA PROCESS AND PRODUCT(DSSP METHODOLOGY) : Used for designing new products and processes.
- DESIGN FOR CUSTOMER SATISFACTION AND MANUFACTURABILITY(DCAM METHOD)
For improving existing processes :
- TRANSACTIONAL QUALITY USING SIX SIGMA(TQSS) :used for defect reduction in transactional processes.
- DMAIC : used for process improvement in non-transactional process.
BENEFITS TO WIPRO DUE TO SIX SIGMA IMPLEMENTATION :
- The biggest projects were completed
- Environment of low maintenance costs was created.
- It improve performance through a precise quantitative understanding of the costumer’s requirements thereby bringing in costumer focus.
- There was a waste elimination and increased productivity upto 35%.
- Installation failures down from 4.5% to 1% in hardware business.
Six Sigma approach was first of all developed by Motorola. It was introduced by an American Engineer named Bill Smith who works for the company Motorola in the year 1986. Further in the year 1995, the concept of Six Sigma was implemented as a central business strategy by Jack Welch in his company General Electric.
Learning the Six Sigma Program makes you a valuable employee in any prestigious company. It is so because it makes you learn process development and improvement skills. This quality improvement program was primarily applied in manufacturing industries, but in recent years it has been implemented everywhere, even in service sectors. Six Sigma employees are engaged in Statistics, Financial Analysis, and project management to ensure the smooth functioning of the business.
Check the highly recommended Online Six Sigma Course!