Table of Contents
What is Medical Coding?
Instead of diving straight into the medical coding books, let’s have a basic understanding of what exactly is medical coding.
To be precise, Medical Coding is more or less similar to translation. In other words, it is the evaluation of scientific reviews right into a short code used in the healthcare industry. Specifically, medical coding allows condensing bulky scientific reviews into pleasant data codes in any other case.
Now, let’s know in brief regarding the existence of medical coding.
So, medical coding was initiated in England back in the 17th century. Henceforth, it is playing a central role in the healthcare field. Again it occurs every time you visit a health professional. Further, the provider will examine your symptoms and medical record, then provide an expert assessment of what is wrong and note your visit. This document is not only a continuous record of the patient but also a payment method to the healthcare provider.
Thus, if you are someone looking for a career in medical coding, do go through these top 10 medical coding books, listed below:
1. Essentials of Bioinformatics and Basics of Medical Coding
The Essentials of Bioinformatics and basics of Medical Coding is indeed a great pick among the other medical coding books. Because it provides information on the associative areas of computational research in biology coupled with medical research for the benefit of the student body.
In addition, the book digs into the field of biology, genetics, medicine, and clinical science. Furthermore, this book provides key information and hands-on experience in data collection, processing, research, acquisition, and evaluation of results.
This book also uses the basics of bioinformatics experimental, realistic, arithmetical tools and models, and medical coding utilizations to the essence of today’s situation.
Available in Amazon
2. Understanding Medical Coding: A Comprehensive Guide
Master the entire content you need to recognize about medical coding with this sensible and easy-to-understand medical coding book. Through clear and little-by-little instructions, you learn how to code a claim successfully and link the perfect CPT as well as ICD-10-CM codes for disbursement.
In other words, you gain expertise in adjustments along with how to invoice patients. Thoroughly updated coverage instigates the industry’s new standards: ICD-10-CM. Above all this book helps you to decorate your overall performance by offering case studies, worksheets, illustrations, and snapshots. And also it ensures that you are properly prepared to acquire a systematic coding characteristic in today’s professional aura.
Check out Amazon.
3. Buck’s Step-by-Step Medical Coding
Initiate the foremost pace towards a promising career in medical coding along with the instructions of this most trusted medical coding book. Best-selling Buck’s Step-by-Step Medical Coding is a convenient resource that displays exactly about coding using all current coding sets.
For a better understanding, the worksheets will stick to the explanation of each coding concept. The evolving site includes refunds, ICD-10-CM, CPT, HCPCS, and fixed coding coverage as well as 30 days of approach to TruCode Encoder Essentials. Undoubtedly this book covers the entire coding set so detailedly.
Available on Amazon.
Are you all perplexed regarding the ICD-10-CM code specificity required for a hit declare handover? The confusion ends here. This medical coding book will keep you updated with the latest 2022 codes. Moreover, it will assist you to take a look at your coding for clinical necessity. Colour coding and examples make the fabric smooth to negotiate, digest, and recall.
Designed for college students and specialists, the ICD-10-CM Expert 2022 is drafted for coders via way of means coders. It is customized as a smooth and important reference to be used within the office as well as in clinical facilities.
Available on Amazon.
- Updated 2022 ICD-10-CM code set with newly discovered codes and revised text
- Presentation of flow charts for short and correct AAPC information
- Highlighted codes to apprehend situations associated with MACRA first-class measures.
- HCC and RXHCC symbols to alert you for HCC and RXHCC diagnoses.
- Spiral binding permits e-books to be put flat for smooth coding along with scanning.
- An excursion of every e-book and hints for success.
- Offers training manuals handy for ICD-10-PCS, ICD-10-CM, HCPCS Level II, and 2022 AMA CPT code books.
5. CPT 2022 Professional
This book is again considered the best medical coding book in the healthcare industry. CPT 2022 Professional is the ultimate resource to assist healthcare specialists in successfully filing and invoicing scientific techniques and offerings.
Likewise, correct reporting and billing of scientific techniques are possible only through the guidance of this specialised book. In the same way, this book with the guidance of physicians within the medical community creates the CPT code set. Moreover, no other books besides CPT 2022 Professional provide such authentic and correct data. As a result, you can code scientific techniques properly.
The CPT Professional additionally takes the copyright safety of its content in a significant way. Thus, it is devoted to imparting the anti-pirated content to the readers.
Check out Amazon.
- This edition codebook covers loads of code, guiding principles, and textual content modifications and features.
- Again, it presents data in famous AMA sources that can enhance your knowledge of the CPT code set.
- The illustrations provided in this book enhance the accuracy of coding as well as knowledge of the anatomy techniques.
- The index of the codebook permits a short seek of the codebook’s material.
- Provides extra data of scientific examples for a sound knowledge of the same domain.
6. HCPCS Level II
Update your knowledge with yet another medical coding book named HCPCS Level II. This book presents a variety of updated codes coupled with some supplementary codes. It mainly focuses on the management of reimbursements. In addition, it gives an accurate record of services and supplies for physicians.
You must go for this user-friendly book that brings you a list of current codes with information drafted by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS )
Check out Amazon.
- Out-and-out 2022 HCPCS Level II code set.
- Tailored and easy-to-use index
- Inventory of drugs and biologicals
- Vibrant anatomical illustrations
- Dictionary-style headers
- Spiral binding
- Glossary of terms
7. Medical Billing and Coding Demystified
Like the other books you went through, this book too is one of the finest medical coding books. To be specific, this guide presents the latest updates on the healthcare law.
Furthermore, it enumerates the best practices applied by hospitals, medical offices, and healthcare facilities. These practices, again help you to convert medical resources to receive payment from insurance companies and government organizations. In the same way, the author equally focuses on the learning pace of the readers. For this reason, he used a building block approach that permits readers to learn at their accepted speed.
In addition, you can easily understand this book without any previous medical experience. Hence, if you are a newbie in this specific field, you must go for it.
Available on Amazon.
8. Medical Billing and Coding Beginners Guide 2022
This is yet another valuable medical coding book depicting the basics of coding systems. This book even guides you in the process of translating codes into financial reports used for billing.
Medical coders are in high demand due to the probable spike in the employability rate. Thus, this medical coding book will certainly assist you in achieving the goal of being a coder. With this in mind, start preparing for the same by picking up this as soon as possible. Lastly, you will also acquire knowledge regarding the much-needed certifications for career advancement in this particular domain.
Available on Amazon.
9. Medical Billing and Coding for Dummies
Upskill your career by choosing this definitive medical coding book. In other words, this book deals with every minute aspect you need to excel in the medical coding career. Not only does it depicts the appropriate course but also the latest certifications required according to the industry standards.
Likewise, it provides the readers with an easy understanding of the complex ICD-10 codes. By all means, this updated edition offers the entire one-to-one information related to the medical coding field.
Check out Amazon.
10. Buck’s 2022 ICD-10-PCs
Pick up this revised edition designed by the finest coders. In simple terms, this specific book explains the process of choosing and building procedure codes. You can easily refer to this book for the various coding rules. Moreover, it even deals with the list of revised and deleted codes. For this reason, one can very well grasp the difficult anatomic details with the usage of coloured anatomy illustrations.
Benefits of Medical Coding Career
With the massive influence of technology spreading in almost every sector, healthcare too cannot be left untouched. As a matter of fact. It would be wrong to say that healthcare is one of the best career options that one can go for.
In addition, the demand for a medical coder is increasing to a great extent due to the continuous evolvement of the healthcare domain. So, if you are considering a medical coder as a profession, then some major benefits are surely unavoidable.
1. A secured profession
Undoubtedly, this is a more stable career option in comparison to some of the other career options available in the market. Moreover, opting for certification can take you a long way in this field. To elevate your earning prospective, you must go for a variety of specialized certifications.
2. Ample learning opportunities
Owing to the competitive era, you must always seek to become an engaging learner. With this in mind, try to welcome every learning possibilities you come across in your journey. In other words, a medical coder’s job never gets outdated if he stays equipped with the latest medical codes and guidelines. It is an undeniable fact that learning is an ongoing process.
Thus, you have ample learning opportunities around your circle to add a high value to your career prospects.
3. Freelance and Contract job alternatives
Is there anyone who wants to be the boss of his own? Perhaps every one of us. In that case, medical coding career offers freelancing and contract-based job alternatives.
If you are someone looking for part-time jobs or let’s say jobs with flexible timings, then give this career a shot. Moreover, seasonal job options are indeed a golden opportunity for freelancers as well as contract-based workers.
4. Social interaction
Medical coding, without a doubt, expands your social contacts that can be a high reward in your career. Likewise, it is a rewarding career to think about if you are looking for a reputable job.
Furthermore, this healthcare profession allows you to encounter people from all walks of life. As a result, you can bring an overall development to your personality.
5. Short training time
Again, medical coding courses and training can be accomplished in a few months. To be precise, online colleges offer flexible learning schedules for the learners who need to adjust their learning pace to accommodate their efforts. You can start working immediately as soon as you pass the exam.
So far you are aware of the books as well as the career benefits of the same course. Now let me acquaint you with the best learning platform for medical coding.
1. Henry Harvin
Henry Harvin, without a doubt, provides you with the leading platform for the Medical Coding Course. To be precise, this course deals with every ins and outs of medical terminology such as anatomy, medicines, diseases, and treatments. In other words, it even makes you proficient in other important aspects like ICD-10-CM (International Classification of Diseases 10th Revision Clinical Modification), CPT (Current Procedural Terminology), and HCPCS (Healthcare Common Procedural Coding System).
Course Types, Benefits & Fees:
To know more information about fee structure please check it here:-
Cities in India where Henry Harvin medical coding course is provided:
Other Courses Provided by Henry Harvin:
- Medical Writing Course
- Emergency Medical Technician Course
- Operation Theatre Technician Course
- Research Writing Course
- Content Writing Course
The perks of the course at Henry Harvin :
Characteristics of the Course
- Projects: Facility to gain mastery in related areas like CPT, HCPCS, ICD-10-CM, and many more.
- Internship: An internship useful resource for the experiential mastering of a specific course.
- Certification: Get Hallmark Certification of the Medical Coding Course online from Henry Harvin Govt. of India identified as an award-winning institute, and show off expertise.
- Placement: 100% Placement Support for the 1-year post of successful completion
- E-Learning: Access outstanding equipment, video content, assessments, and more.
- Bootcamps: Regular bootcamps spread over the subsequent 12 month
- Hackathons: Free admission to #AskHenry Hackathons and Competitions
- Membership: Get a 1-year Gold Membership of Henry Harvin Medical Academy for the Medical Coding Course.
Henry Harvin Trainers
- The most famous corporate professionals with over 12 years of running experience
- Carefully used by our education companies and diagnosed by many of our organizations over the years of their work
- Invited to over 120 keynotes in the course.
- Added over 250 lectures and is currently a field professional at Henry Harvin Medical Academy.
Gold Membership Benefits
- Take advantage of a one-year Gold Membership consisting of recorded videos, games and e-learning access through projects.
- 1-year free boot camp session
- Earn the repute of top-notch Henry Harvin Alumni and join more than 3,000,000 top-notch alumni around the world.
- Guarantee an Internship at Henry Harvin or a partner company
- More than 10 activity opportunities are offered weekly.
- Experience corporate responsibility at some point in education.
To summarize, medical coding gives you lifetime access to your job. You just require a sound knowledge of medical terminology and basic knowledge of procedures undertaken in hospitals. However, there are several certifications of the same available in the market.
If you are genuinely interested in the medical coding domain, you must opt for certification to boost your healthcare skills. Hurry up and pick any one of the above-mentioned books to further grip your command in the same industry.
- 10 Best Books To Teach English To Beginners In 2022
- Top 20 Best Content Writing Books in 2022
- Top 15 Books on Business Analytics
- Top 10 Operation Theatre Technician Books
- Top 20 Books for English Speaking Course
Ques.1 Which language is used in medical coding?
Ans.The Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes provide healthcare professionals with an invariable language for coding medical procedures to well-organized the reporting system.
Ques.2 What is medical coding qualification?
Ans.The person must possess a bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree specifically from a life science background. In addition, one must also have the ability to read and analyse medical records and patient details.
Ques.3 What is the age limit for medical coding?
Ans.After the completion of higher secondary, a person can enrol for the medical coding course. However, he can even choose to do the course after a uniform degree.
Ques.4 What is the future of medical coding?
Ans.Without a doubt, medical coding is a highly demanding profession. As a result, the employment opportunities for the same have increased significantly over the few years.
Ques.5 How many medical codes are there?
Ans.There are roughly 10,000 CPT codes currently in operation. The American Medical Association publishes the CPT (Current Procedural Terminology) codes.
Ques.6 What does ICD-10 stand for?
Ans.It stands for International Classification of Diseases.