Table of Contents
Is your limited vocabulary the reason for your lack of confidence while communicating and thinking to improve your vocabulary game? No worries, you’re at the right spot. As a matter of fact, improving your vocabulary does not mean learning thousands of words and their meanings.
It is ultimately about getting well-known with and using them in daily conversations. This blog will not only help you to improve your vocabulary but also guide you through Ten effective strategies that will help you develop and master an all-around rich vocabulary. First thing to remember This blog is beneficial for all age groups looking to improve their vocabulary.
What role does vocabulary play in today’s time?
A rich vocabulary serves as the foundation of the target language you want to master. It also helps you engage in conversations and leads to success in your overall professional life because improving your wording helps you to your communication skills. These skills hold significant value in today’s time.
Vocabulary plays a significant role in improving communication. Building your vocabulary not only helps to improve your communication but also helps you in your academic and professional life. A rich glossary of words helps in expressing emotions e and conveying the message effectively thereby, leaving no scope for misunderstanding or misinterpretation. Today writers, bloggers, journalists, and media persons, need to master vocabulary.
Vocabulary serves as a base for compelling language speech. Rich vocabulary makes you intelligent by broadening your horizons because it influences the people around you. A rich vocabulary helps you not use harsh words, which leads to heated arguments and behaving in a soft-spoken manner while still putting your point forward.
Well, here are the ten effective strategies to improve your vocabulary and mastery of the language
1. Read to Upgrade-unleash your zest to improve your vocabulary
Reading is a mental stimulation that improves your memory and your communication skills. Don’t worry if you’re a beginner commence, with analyzing which genre (fiction, non-fiction, novels, comic, spiritual fantasy, horror, classic. Mysteries, romance, science fiction, autobiographies, history, and short stories) interests you the most. Later once you get into the habit of reading, diversify into a new genre, which will help you to boost your vocabulary. You should read at least for a minimum of 30 minutes every day. To avoid getting bored, you can also read a minimum of 2 books at a time.
Reading a topic aloud helps you understand it better and rectify your mistakes effortlessly. Reading not only comprises books, and magazines but also newspapers, online newsletters, and. Sometimes reading in front of the mirror can also help you to gain confidence and improve pronunciation. Set a target of how many pages or books you want to read, and then track your target. You can also join online and offline book clubs in your respective cities where all the club members discuss the subject and theme of the book.
In the meantime If, you get bored reading, listening to audiobooks, podcasts, and music in the target language is beneficial.
A pro tip for all our readers
while watching a movie, On the subtitles of your target language. Later, you can put them off and try to understand what the characters are conversating about while paying close attention to their body language expressions and tone of voice.
Books, Newspapers, and Magazines to improve your vocabulary
List of Books you could refer to improve your vocabulary:
Some books you could refer to are as follows:
- Word Power, How to read better and faster, 30 days to better English, instant word power, word guide by Norman Lewis, serves as a complete and comprehensive guide and a handbook for building a superior vocabulary.
- Merriam Websters Vocabulary Builder
- Vocab Prodigy- English with Nimisha Bansal
- Harry Potter series by J.K Rowling
- 30 Days to a more powerful vocabulary by Brian Tracy
List of newspapers or news articles to improve your vocabulary:
Some of the newspapers or articles you could refer to online or offline are as follows:
- Times of India
- BBC News
- Economic Times
- The Hindu
- Hindustan Times
List of magazines to improve your vocabulary:
Some magazines to improve your vocabulary are as follows:
- Readers Digest
- Time Magazine
- Forbes Magazine
- India Today
2. Maintain your Vocabulary Digest
A digest here means a diary or a journal where you write all the new words you learn during the day. The digest should be updated regularly and revised at the end of the day. Start by associating with the objects around you.
For instance, if you don’t learn new words on a particular day, revise the old words. Writing new words will not only help you remember, and retain them but also co-relate to them effortlessly.
Your digest should include the new word’s meaning, whether the word is a noun, adjective, or verb, and an example. Make use of flashcards if required. Along with the digest, maintain a separate notebook to build new sentences of the words you have learned.
One Pro tip for all our readers
Use colored pens while writing in the vocabulary digest as this helps to focus and remember things easily. Be as creative and organized at the same time.
3. Sign Up for the Content Writing Course by Henry Harvin
Henry Harvin is one of the preeminent institutions that has ranked top in Industrial Training since 2013. The ed-tech company has trained more than 30,000 Individuals, 900 Corporate clients, and 130 + colleges. Henry Harvin has launched a unique curated ContentWritingCourse
Why opt for Henry Harvin’s Content Writing Course?
- The duration of the Training is 40 Hours Live and Interactive. The knowledge provided is as per the current industry needs and standards.
- The key takeaway of this course is guaranteed internship and placement after the successful completion of the Course.
- The course provides free access to Hackathons, Masterclasses, e-learning tools, all video sessions, and comprehensive study material.
- The certificate they provide is globally recognized (CDCW) by The American Association of EFL, the Content Writing Association of India, the UK Cert, UKAF & MSME.
- The content Writing course also offers the opportunity to master add-on skills like basic graphic skills, technical knowledge of launching website blogs, editing skills, Search Engine Optimization, and content strategy.
- Henry Harvin also provides one year of Gold Membership with this course.
Mode of the Classes
The classes are, conducted online for all the batches.
To know more about the course curriculum and the fee structure check, on the link provided below:
4. Practice Comprehension Skills-
Comprehension skills mean accurately reading and comprehending the subject they read. Comprehension builds strong wordings and increases fluency in reading. Comprehensions are an effective way of improving your vocabulary because it consists of meanings in between the context that needs to be read and understood with attention. Oral comprehensions are more effective. After reading or listening to the subject matter, a set of questions are given to answer to check whether you understood or not.
Resources like newspapers, books, and audio will be of significant help in mastering these skills.
One Pro tip for all our readers:
In the case of written comprehension, mark or underline the crucial points in the passage as this helps to answer the questions on time. Read the questions twice before answering the questions. All the answers to the questions are in the passage itself and not anywhere else.
5. Dictionary is your best friend
Without a doubt, the dictionary is your best friend, a book consisting of all the meanings of the words arranged in alphabetical order. The dictionary also guides you to their antonyms, their root words, and the different denotations of the same word.
Dictionary is the oldest and a proven resource for mastering vocabulary. A bilingual dictionary is of benefit to those who have little or no knowledge.
Dictionaries you could refer to improve your vocabulary
Some of the times best and all-time preferred list of the dictionary is as follows:
- Oxford Learners dictionary
- Merriam-Webster’s elementary dictionary
- Websters new world college dictionary
- Collins Pocket English Dictionary
- Cambridge essential English, Learners, advanced learners, and Business English dictionary
A pro tip for all our readers:
Do not use a dictionary while you conduct a conversation because this will not help in real-life situations. For instance, if you enter a grocery store to buy the stuff you need and where the conversations occurring are in your target language to comprehend and speak with them, you cannot use your dictionary as it disrupts the flow of a conversation.
Before looking for the synonyms, try to understand the context in which, spoken. This approach is known as the prefix-suffixes method. This method helps in understanding the development of words from their roots.
6. Conduct Conversations to Improve your Vocabulary
The best way to put the new words into practice is to carry out conversations with a partner, either on the telephone, person to person, or through messages and written letters. all in all conducting a conversation will help both parties to learn something new from each other. When you hear a new word in the language, try to repeat them because it not only improves your vocabulary but slowly helps you to speak like the native people around you. The words add substance to your conversation. A rich vocabulary ensures your conversation is fluent.
One Pro tip for all our readers
Avoid small talk by setting up goals. Ensure you avoid small talk and carry on a conversation with confidence and an approachable personality. You should take breaks while you speak and always start with the basic conversation in a fun, positive, and relaxed tone. Taking breaks does not mean you take unnecessary pauses while conversating.
7. Practice Essay Writing Skills
Improving your Vocabulary is ultimately all about research, reading, and implementation to master the vocabulary. One of the best practices you could do by yourself is to start practicing short essays that will help in using the words you learn and also which word to use in what context. You should practice writing at least a minimum of 3 essays every week.
An hour to four is required to write an essay depending upon the technicality of the topic. Use specific ways to write an essay, and always time yourself while you write. Prepare a basic outline and the contents you want to include in your Essay.
One Pro Tip to all our readers
Get your essay proofread by an expert so they can correct your sentence structure, grammar, punctuation, and help you rectify your mistake, if any, and provide you with correct feedback and suggestion.
8. Install Vocabulary word-of-the-day and grammar applications to improve your vocabulary
Technological advancements have made life easy. Who would have thought one day, we all could learn anything we want from the comfort of our homes? There are numerous mobile applications available and easily accessible. These applications are beneficial for those who are embarking on their journey to master the vocabulary.
Mobile applications make learning fun and easy through games and quizzes. A benefit of mobile applications is you can learn at your own pace anytime, anywhere, with comfort and convenience. Mobile Applications are a form of supplementary learning in addition to the training you wish to do.
Applications like Duo Lingo, Practice English Grammar, Learn English grammar by the British Council, Memrise, Vocabulary learn new words daily, Word up Vocabulary, and Word of the day can help you achieve benefits. These applications have both free and paid versions
Benefits of using mobile learning applications:
- Highly Flexible, learn anytime, anywhere.
- Learning Applications help in tracking Performances.
- An easy and appealing form of learning for the young generation as they are more socially active and constantly on their mobile phones and laptops.
- Learning applications not only help you increase your knowledge but also boosts confidence in front of your friends, peers, and family.
9. Study Groups to your rescue
The study group works toward the same goal, which helps to achieve the target quickly. Group studies help you learn effectively and efficiently, ease your doubts and confusion better, and build your critical thinking skills. Studying in a group helps gain insights on the subject matters because of varying perspectives and also motivates the setback you may face in the process.
Your group should consist of 4-5 members meeting weekly for a minimum of 1.5 hours and summarizing all the points you have learned in the last 15-20 minutes. You can also learn by playing games or carrying out fun activities. Make sure this routine is full of fun.
Benefits of study groups
- Studying in a group increases your efficiency in learning and performing.
- Group studies help you explore new and effective ways and approaches to learning.
- However, studying in groups helps you gain different insights and an interesting angle of perspective.
- Clarification of doubts and problems happens with ease in such groups.
One Pro Tip to all our readers
Ensure the group members are on the same page concerning the objective and the target. Decide before in hand what new topic or subject matter to discuss in the next session. another key point, create your own study material or notes, as this gives a personalized touch to your learning process. Choose a calm, peaceful, and positive study environment, as it avoids any hindrances and distractions. Allocate responsibility to an individual to monitor the performance of every member of the group and keep a record of it.
10. Never underestimate the power of TED Talks
TED Talks is a global platform where experts provide relevant knowledge of significant value. TED Talks usually are conducted on college campuses and online platforms like youtube for free. There are a series of talks conducted on a subject matter by various eminent speakers who provide knowledge with great insights that help you to enlighten your mind and provide you with the right kind of inspiration and stimulus you need.
The benefit of watching TED Talks
- TED Talks provide the most relevant and reliable knowledge because Real-time situations, experiences, and approaches to handling them are reasoned and explained. on a specific topic
- TED Talks are easily accessible to anyone and help you in improvising your skills.
- The sessions are deep and curated after a vast exploration of real-time problems and incidents. There is always something beneficial for everyone in such sessions.
Benefits of having a rich glossary of words
There are enumerated benefits of having for that reason, n a rich glossary that helps to maintain a healthy work environment and maintain cordial relations with colleagues, peers, and seniors. helps to improve your academic and professional life by improving your communication skills. A rich glossary gives wings to the writer to write more attractive, also help you diversify your thinking pattern, and opens up new avenues of opportunities by letting you out of old pattern thinking and providing you with the skill of reasoning. Lastly, a good vocabulary helps you build a good command of the language and pronunciation.
Eight Points to Remember to improve your vocabulary
- While looking out for the synonyms of the words, look out for the origin and the pronunciations.
- Everyone has a time during the day or night when they can grasp new things. Take your sessions during those active hours.
- Use new words in your everyday conversations. and from time to time play games like crossword and word searches.
- Read loud as possible while reading, learning, or writing new words or articles.
- Before you begin the daily vocabulary sessions, always review the mistakes you made in the previous sessions and correct them.
- Meanwhile don’t just look at the word, try to comprehend the meaning, complete phrase, and the context in which it is spoken.
- Enjoy and love the process of learning and mastering vocabulary skills because what you enjoy becomes easy to learn.
- Lastly, if you sincerely follow all the tips and strategies, you will notice a progressive change in your vocabulary.
No wonder consistency is considered the indicator of success. The significance of having a rich vocabulary is of utmost importance because it’s the foundation of any language. Nonetheless, a rich vocabulary helps you master reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. To summarize the wording not only acts as a building block for effective and engaging conversations but also helps to express feelings and emotions effectively.
Henceforth It is considered one of the key factors to lead you through personal development and success. A poor vocabulary shatters the confidence level because it is not always possible to find or predict the meaning of the words you don’t know. Consistency plays a vital role in mastering vocabulary. Mastering the rich glossary helps in building a personality and a charismatic aura.
You can improve your vocabulary by reading, listening to Ted Talks, Practice comprehension and essay writing, maintaining a vocabulary digest, and watching series and television shows in the target language. Building a habit and doing above mentioned activities are enough to increase your knowledge and mastery of the target language vocabulary.
An individual may require 3-6 Months to improve and master the vocabulary only with consistent and constant practice and effort.
Learning new words with their meanings is not difficult for those who sincerely wish to develop them. Maintaining a vocabulary digest will help you to remember them efficiently.
Critical thinking, attention to detail, dedication, and willingness to learn are the ultimate skills you require to improve your vocabulary.
Yes, enrolling in an online course helps build vocabulary and your dialect. Online courses are quite beneficial because you find a partner who you can carry a conversation with and learn new words.
Content Writing Course
with Gold Membership
*Learn from South Asia's Oldest Content Writing Course | Recognized by American Association of EFL, Content Writing Association of India, UK Cert, UKAF & MSME | Guaranteed Live Projects & Internship Opportunity.
Technical Writing Course
with Gold Membership
*A cutting-edge Technical Writing Course which teaches you the fine art of transforming data and information accumulated through a process or experimental work into technical documentations and guides.
Creative Writing Courses
with Gold Membership
Henry Harvin® Creative Writing Course Ranks#1 in India by The Statesman! Creative Master the creative writing skills to compose engaging Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, Drama, and Poetry that will snap a reader’s curiosity from the advent to end of your write-up.
Medical Writing Training
Course and Certificate
A one-of-a-kind Medical Writing course which helps you get a thorough understanding of pharmaceutical regulatory writing as well as medico-marketing writing. Strengthen your writing prowess as you boost your skills as a medical and scientific writer. The Certified Medical Writer(CMW) certification is your key to success.Explore Popular Category