Does a Good Script Mean a Great Movie?
Imagine a brilliant movie script written by eminent scriptwriters. There is this hype about the upcoming movie of it being a great blockbuster. It has a great plot besides the star cast, great locations, but the movie comes out miserable. The movie costed a fortune to the producer, besides the hopes and aspirations of the people associated with it. Not only he encountered misfortune after the release, but also it crushed his image too. What might be the underlying cause for such a mishap? The director fails to impart life to the entire script. The director should justify the great storyline with insightful direction, transitioning with the flow of the storyline. The movie fails dismally and leads to heartbreak for the entire crew. Finally, he ends up sinking into an ocean of darkness, pondering what went wrong.
The Journey of Conception to the Portrayal!
In the first place, what is the vision of starting the movie? It cannot go for a toss due to any reason. Sometimes a limited budget leads to snatching away the essence vis-a-vis over-budget spoils it with way too much pomp and show. The bits and pieces should fall in their correct slots. The bigger picture should seamlessly knit the small odds and ends. The final portrayal should match the director’s projection as it was in the first place. It should be able to convey the intended message to the viewers. Thus an idea gets a big name and remains in the grey matter of the fan base through ages.
Just Research – Not Enough!
Are you wondering why a blog on such a specialized topic as research writing begins with a terrible comparison to a failed movie and its director? It is because sometimes research writers do excellent research but fail at drafting it. Though to excel at the research part is a must, it is equally important to write the research paper effectively. The readers should be able to assimilate the facts and results, appreciate them. The characteristics of a well-crafted research paper lie in its easy understanding and proof of its basis on facts. Furthermore, they should be keen to develop the idea progressively.
Do Upgrade your Skills!
Before diving deep into research writing and the best practice associated with it, let us explore all about a research writing course and its requirement in the present day scenario.No matter how talented somebody is at content writing and creation, it is always advisable to pursue a professional course that hones the writing skills. More over specialized genres like research writing do require polishing the skills from time to time.
The Research Writing course
Though the market of online educational services is teeming with a swarm of courses, it is imperative to pick the best out of them. Henry Harvin Education provides South Asia’s finest Research Writing Course which is one of their signature courses. Henry Harvin Education is a leading career and skills development organization.
About Henry Harvin Education
An institute of high repute, Henry Harvin Education, provides training in the mainstream courses like writing, analytics, management, etc. It also takes care of niche areas like technical writing, medical writing, research writing as well. Apart from the educational courses, internships, soft-skills training, workshops, etc., make them a well-known name among the knowledge seekers.
Why Henry Harvin Education?
- The Trainers-The trainers are experienced in their respective domains and have brilliant industry exposure.
- The Curriculum-The curriculum is designed to impart just the right blend of theoretical and practical sessions
- The Certification– The Henry Harvin Certification next to the name distinguishes from others
- Hands-on experience– Practical Exposure and Live Projects
- GCAO Pedagogy
About the Research Writing Course from Henry Harvin Education
- Module-7 mainstream Course Modules, two complementary modules distributed across 8 hours of sessions.
- Program-Self-paced and live-instructor led classes
- Fee-INR 4500 for the Self-paced course program and INR 5000 for live -instructor-led classes
Benefits of the Research Writing Course
- Introduction to various genres of research writing
- Enhance the research writing skills
- Familiarity with scientific communication ethics
- Teaches the art of implicitly conveying the essence of research writing even to a commoner
- Do’s and Dont’s of a research writing career
- The required traits for a freelancing research writing career
- Strong foundational skill-sets for a successful research writing career
Also Henry Harvin Provides these Courses
Henry Harvin Provides Content Writing Course in Theses Cities:
Research Writing – The Beginning Till Success
Research Writing illustrates the research findings based on evidence, sources, reasoning, and explanation. The process starts with collecting and examining the information on the research question and ends with the organization and structuring of the refined data. The former may sound easy, the latter that takes a toll on the research writers.
Steps of Research Writing
The format for writing a research paper is more or less standardized. Still, there will be variations owing to the writing style adopted by various writers and the nature of the domain. A ready reckoner set of steps to research writing might be a been a boon to the research writer.
- Befriend the topic & love it-The researcher should not jump into the assignment in the initial phase. It is better to embrace it with open arms and then slowly start familiarizing it.
- Enjoy the work– It is a famous saying that enjoy your work, you will not work a single day in your life again! It is because once work becomes enjoyable, we don’t feel it as a burden. We enjoy every bit of it. Likewise, it should be made sure that the topic of research chosen is of our liking. If we don’t believe in what we are doing, we can’t succeed.
- To research on the research!- A researcher should denote his 100% time, energy, and efforts to gather as many references as possible to validate the hypothesis. There should be no stone left unturned. The more the groundwork of reading, studying, digging deep into the treasure of research, the more the enriched outcome in the form of a brilliant research paper.
- Resource Assessment-A required trait of a good research paper is the quality of sources cited. The citation of authenticated sources in the research paper visibly outranks it. It can improve by referring to a plethora of them.
- Ideation-This a very crucial phase as the ideas generated so far will now take the concrete black and white form on paper. Hence this is the deciding phase for the type of thesis and thus the development of the thesis statement.
- Organization and structuring-An ideal research writer onboards the reader and keeps him hooked till the end. The opening sentence plays a vital role in this. A strong opening sentence is a good tool for this purpose.
- Framing the first draft-If all the above steps are taken care of religiously so far, the first draft becomes an easy job.
- Corroboration-It is a must to acknowledge the sources referred to do the research. The resources referred should be documented and cited in the research paper. A lack of such practice would lead to plagiarism of the content. The research work would lose its academic integrity and value.
- Revision is the key-Some-times, an idea worth of gold may get lost in the process of taking the form of black and white. To go back and revise makes sure that none of the ideas get lost in transit. Edit the unwanted elements and implement the required ones.
- Brutal proofreading -This is the last stage but takes the most out of the writer because one should be hard-hearted to edit one’s work. At times a stretch of 30-40 words may seem redundant and need to be edited either by deleting the entire thing or rephrasing the given text. Before publication, the research paper must be error-proof.
Now that we have got the required steps, the question in place is how to be an expert at research writing?
It will make the job of a research writer easy if a set of foundational guidelines are present for ready reference. Let us examine some of these to understand the skill-sets needed to be a successful research writer.
Research Writing Skills
- The target audience is the king-It is not about the writer, but the focus must be on the readers. Thus one must always concentrate on the target audience and accordingly draft the research findings.
- Strike the hammer where it is needed – Somebody searching for the best neighborhood departmental stores may not interested in the stock exchange and share prices. Be specific to their needs in mind while conducting the research.
- Simplicity is still the best policy– Do not try to stuff the research writing with fancy words and complicated jargon. The reader will not pat the writer’s back if he gets stuck in between the read. They should be able to comprehend and assimilate the writer’s work.
- Enjoy the journey as the destination-What happens to our road trips if we neglect the traffic signals and other necessary conventions. Do we reach our destination safe and sound? No, instead of that, we land up an accident and make things even worse. Similarly, while drafting the research work, it is a must to follow the rules of grammar, punctuation, and other writing formalities to convey the message in a crisp, precise, and accurate manner to the audience. Traffic rules of a one-way, two-way, and high-way differ. Like-wise every audience may not be catering to the same literary appetite. A highly regarded research paper has the abovesaid in just the right proportions.
Types of Research Papers
There are many types of research papers. One should be aware of the research paper type and what is needed by their project. Each kind of research paper has a different background work, preparation, and presentation. While preparing the research papers, one should be very careful while selecting the research paper type, style of the research writing, etc. There are various types of research papers. Though widely used ones being Analytical Research Paper and Argumentative (Persuasive Research Paper).
- Analytical Research Paper-The researcher poses an analytical question & appropriate data is collected from various sources to understand and examine their respective viewpoints. The findings and conclusions of other researchers are studied. After a careful examination of all of the research, the writer arrives at his conclusions. It is necessary to stay focused on the research paper and not get influenced by any personal bias. The research writer should not be on the positive or negative side of it.
- Argumentative (Persuasive Research Paper)- This is like two sides of the same coin. In the same paper, two faces of the same issues are scrutinized. The aim is to get the readers to support the researcher’s point of view. The researcher should present all the aspects of both sides of the issue and support one viewpoint over the other. The side supported by the researcher depends on logic and statistical data instead of any emotion.
Styles of Research Writing Citations and Style Guides
After studying the types of research papers, it is time to understand the styles of Research Writing Citations and different Style Guides.
Just like research papers, there are a variety of styles of Research Writing Citations and Style Guides. The most prevalent ones being the APA and MLA.
A Stark Contrast
In the fictional world, every author has a natural style of writing. They are knowingly or unknowingly comfortable with this style and perform better when following it. In the long run, this becomes his style of writing and readers start recognizing him by his style. This freedom of adopting a personal style does not find much space in the research writing world. It is so because every kind of research writing has a defined format that the author has to follow. Also, the uniformity of structure leads to ease for the editor to proofread it before publishing it. The familiarity of the patterns also keeps the readers in a comfort zone.
APA and MLA Format
- APA- APA style of Research Writing Citation finds its usage in citation and formatting science-based and analytical research papers. The educational, science-based, social science-based disciplines like psychology, sociology, criminology follow the APA style of research writing. Apart from this, Management research papers and Nursing research papers too employ APA as a style of research writing. Moreover, also used for the overall content organization and pre-publication rituals.
- MLA– MLA or Modern Language Association finds its usage for the citations of humanities and literature. Characterized by parenthetical citations in the illustrations, it records the references listed in alphabetical order.
A Befitting Research Paper Conclusion!
An appropriate conclusion marks the beginning of many good things. As this blog reaches its concluding part, it’s time for the research paper to get its concluding steps as well. A well-knit conclusion serves as a fortifying factor for the hypothesis in the first place and also is a summary of the entire research paper. It acts as a glance point summarizing the research paper. Furthermore, a solid conclusion also lays the foundational stones of continued research. Sometimes it is the resolution point for many unresolved issues.
Types of Conclusions for Research papers
Given the specific nature of each of its components, no wonder there are even types of conclusions listed for research papers.
Summary-based Conclusion: As the name goes by, it summarizes the entire paper and the thesis. The most commonly used type of conclusions for research papers, though exceptions are always there. Research papers from the argumentative, scientific, and historical genres conclude with a summary-based conclusion.
Externalization-based Conclusion: It focuses on the ideas or theories that were not a direct part of the thesis and research paper. It gives a fresh perspective to the research. It can be way different from the initial hypothesis of the research paper and provide new ideas for research.
Editorial type Conclusion: In this, the research writer brings his perspective of the research. The conclusion may have a reflection of the research writer’s personality, ideologies, thought-process, etc. Research papers dealing with humanities, controversies, and opinions, etc. do well with this kind of conclusion.
Steps to Research Paper Conclusion
- Recapitulate the research topic -A sentence stating the problem in place and its probable consequence should be enough for this purpose.
- Recapitulate the thesis– A one-sentence version of the thesis different from the one stated at the beginning of the research paper.
- List the main points– It is always good to summarize the research emphasizing the main problem and the research findings.
- Results– A mention of the research result helps the readers understand the research topic and its futuristic impact on the field of study.
- Conclusion– If it ends well, it begins well! A well-drawn conclusion opens more doors for the growth prospects of a futuristic research writer.
It is a lifetime dream of every researcher to write some great academic papers. More often, a great researcher may not be a brilliant writer. It takes a writer’s pen and feelings to draft a spectacular research paper. As a great story may not guarantee its transformation into a good movie, similarly interesting research may not take the shape of an elaborative and complete research paper. Here comes the role and importance of a research writer.
- He can materialize his writing skills and knowledge to draft an outstanding research paper
- It would fully justify the hard work and efforts put in by the researcher
- A good research writer may time and again need to brush up his writing skills to be ahead in the competition
- There are plenty of courses out there, but the best one must be selected that provides a holistic approach to research writing
- With the research writing steps and proper skills, a multitasking research writer is born
- He must keep abreast of the type of research papers and the citation styles
- Last but not least, an appropriate conclusion will be the cherry on the cake
- For More Relevant Articles: Content Writing Courses in India
Research assistants in pharmaceutical research companies, academic research writers, sub-editors, and editors in publication houses are some of the exciting career opportunities for a research writer.
Both online and classroom sessions are equally good to pursue. In the ongoing pandemic, it is advisable to opt for an online course.
12th Pass is the minimum qualification to join a research writing course.
Though a bachelor’s degree in any discipline is the minimum eligibility, a degree in English, Mass-communications, and Journalism is preferred.
A growth projection of 15-20% from 2021-2030 is projected as per industry averages.
Content Writing Course
with Gold Membership
*Learn from South Asia's Oldest Content Writing Course | Recognized by American Association of EFL, Content Writing Association of India, UK Cert, UKAF & MSME | Guaranteed Live Projects & Internship Opportunity.
Technical Writing Course
with Gold Membership
*A cutting-edge Technical Writing Course which teaches you the fine art of transforming data and information accumulated through a process or experimental work into technical documentations and guides.Explore Popular Category