Table of Contents
With digitalization infiltrating all aspects of our lives, whether listening to songs, ordering food, booking a movie ticket, making a bank transaction, or even sharing your latest vacation pics with your loved ones, it’s all applications that do the work for us. These are smart and intelligent applications indeed, but who are the brains behind them? It’s the backend developers who are creating all the magic. But what is backend development? Let’s understand that in the first place.
Subsequently, we will explore backend development skills, roles and responsibilities of backend developers along with backend developer salary figures.
What is Backend Development?
Activities that happen at the backend of programs constitute backend development. These activities include server-side application logic and integration together with activities such as writing APIs, building libraries, and working with system components. In contrast to front-end developers who work on customer-facing services and programs, back-end developers work on developing code for integrating a database with an application.
In a nutshell, backend developers build and maintain the backend of a Website. This includes managing databases, servers, and applications as part of backend development skills. In other words, they control things not visible to us.
If the backend development work fascinates you, it would be good to understand the role of a backend developer. That will give you clarity and help you decide whether you want to master backend development skills and pursue this career path.
What is the role of a Backend Developer?
While we understand that Backend Developers manage the show behind the stage, let us do a deep dive into the role to examine their responsibilities one by one:
- Develop and maintain Websites: The primary task of a Backend Developer is to use an intelligent combination of tools, frameworks, and programming languages. The objective is to build intuitive, dynamic, and user-friendly Websites. In-depth knowledge of cross-platform functionality and capability comes in handy for this task.
- Write high-quality code: The secret to building sustainable Web applications is the code that drives it from behind. So, a Backend Developer must be adept in writing clean and easily maintainable code.
- Perform Quality Assurance: One of the key backend development skills is to plan quality tests and conduct them. The purpose is to ensure an optimized user experience when they log in to the Website using any browser or device.
- Assess Efficiency and Speed: Once a Website is functional, developers must evaluate its speed and scalability. As a result, they can make changes to the code for fine-tuning the Website to enhance user experience.
- Troubleshoot and Debug: Backend Developers resolve issues and queries raised by PMs, QA teams, etc. In other words, they ensure a seamless experience for users visiting a Web site.
- Train and support: It is the responsibility of the Backend Developer to understand the client’s requirements and deliver accordingly. Additionally, they must provide support as and when the customer demands any changes. Moreover, they train junior developers to offer the same quality of rich user experience.
Considering the challenging portfolio of a Backend Developer, it is important to know the Backend Development skills you must possess to excel in this role. Possessing these skills gear you up for drawing a handsome backend developer salary.
Backend Development skills
Developing, testing, and maintaining Web applications is the primary responsibility of Backend Developers. Therefore, they must have a thorough knowledge of a wide array of tools, frameworks, and programming languages. Let me explain these technical backend development skills in detail:
- Frameworks: These are the libraries of programming languages that help to build the configuration of servers. Frameworks remain tied to languages. This means if you are conversant with Python, you can work with Flask, Django or any other Python-based framework. This holds for other languages and their associated frameworks.
- Databases and Servers: Robust knowledge of database programs such as MongoDB and SQL comes in handy to stack and recover data from databases. This is because back-end programming controls access, control, and storage of information in the databases. The database stores and organizes the client’s data so that relevant information can be easily retrieved. This database resides on a server from where data can be extracted on request.
- Accessibility and Security Clearance: Securing databases and servers is an absolute must for Web developers. Therefore, they require exhaustive knowledge of network protocols and Web security.
Important to note that possessing the above technical skills is not enough for a successful Backend Developer. Instead, they must possess some soft skills to work effectively, efficiently, and collaboratively with the team members.
Some of the key Backend Development skills are:
- Communication: Strong written and verbal skills come in good stead when developers need to understand the client’s requirements and liaise with team members and other relevant stakeholders to execute the requirements.
- Problem Solving & Analytical Thinking: These two skills go hand-in-hand as you analyse the coding errors and find creative solutions while developing a Website or a mobile app. In other words, debugging code and fixing the errors and drawing cues from the errors to prevent similar ones.
- Industry knowledge: Being aware of the latest developments in technology to keep abreast with economic changes and as well as updates to languages and platforms proves very effective. Good sources of such information can be reading blogs, participating in forums, and reading books related to Website and app development.
At this point, the obvious question that might be bothering you is whether the career of a Backend Developer is worth pursuing. So, let me assure you that marketers are increasingly relying on Web sites. In fact, they are resorting to digital marketing to reach out to their potential customers. Therefore, Backend Developers working in the background of these Web sites are in high demand. In other words, they are the strongest brand ambassadors for marketers. But is the backend developer salary good enough? Let’s see.
Backend Developer Salary
Based on the annual package of Backend Developers in India, the backend developer salary hovers around INR 7.23 lakhs.
Before winding up, let me answer one last question, “How to become a Backend Developer?”
Well, if you have a logical mind and a fair grasp of programming languages, you are all set. However, to hone your backend development skills, enrol for a course so that on its completion, you can be:
- Fully conversant with Data Structures and Algorithms: MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL SERVER, MongoDB, and Oracle Database demand a firm understanding of their functionalities.
- Confident to work with programming languages: Possess theoretical knowledge with hands-on experience to work effectively in tandem with front-end developers.
- Comfortable with Version Control: Version Control helps in managing project files and tracking users’ history. Git, GitHub, and Subversion are some of the popular tools a Backend Developer uses. While Git tracks the user’s footprints and aids in file management, GitHub is a web-based version control service using Git. As a result, users can examine other people’s code, spot errors, and even suggest changes, as appropriate.
- Thorough about Web Hosting Platforms: These platforms help to host Web sites on the cloud and access them via the Internet. To be precise, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform, and Microsoft Azure demand your hands-on knowledge.
Apart from mastering theoretical knowledge on the above topics, work on some live projects. Consequently, you gain an understanding of real-life industry problems. Overall, the course should get you ready to demand the backend developer salary the market offers.
It’s now time, to sum up, our discussion on Backend Development. By now, you have gained a fair understanding of Backend Development and backend development skills. Also, the backend developer salary range proves that the marketplace continues to demand competent Backend Developers. So, groom yourself to join the bandwagon.
Fortunately, the industry is ready to offer you all the support. You only need to make up your mind and get started…
Q1 As a backend developer do I need to possess any soft skills?
To be a successful backend developer, just as you need to master technical skills in the relevant languages, tools, and frameworks, certain soft skills give you an extra edge. For instance, a good backend developer must be organized and possess attention to detail. Additionally, being creative, adept in problem-solving, and ability to remain calm and focused under demanding situations are critical for your success. Robust verbal and written communication skills also come in handy while liaising with the customer.
Q2 What is the difference between a frontend developer, a backend developer, and a full stack developer?
As the name suggests, front-end developers work on the graphics to enhance the look and feel of websites and web applications. Backend developers, on the contrary, build the backend logic using programming languages. Full-stack developers work on both the front and backend of websites and Web applications and possess all the necessary skills.
Q3 How can I advance my career in Backend Development?
To proceed in your career as a backend developer, you must stay on top of new and emerging technologies related to web application development. Apart from honing your skills in programming languages used for the backend development of websites and web applications, build your expertise in frontend development skills. These apart, It is also important to develop robust communication and leadership skills.
Q4 Which Backend Development skills in computer languages and tools are helpful for Backend Development?
For successful backend development, proficiency in server-side languages such as PHP, Ruby, Python, and Java is invaluable. Additionally, experiential knowledge of database tools including MySQL, Oracle and SQL Server is critical. Hands-on experience with Linux is a huge bonus for a backend developer. Familiarity with PHP frameworks such as Zend and Symfony as well as version control software such as SVN and Git is significantly instrumental for backend developers.
Q5 Can a Backend Developer work from home?
If you are planning to pursue backend development as a career path, you may have the opportunity to sometimes work from home. This depends on your work assignments and the work policies of the organization where you are employed.