Table of Contents
Do you wish to see yourself as a successful Project Manager? Do you want to know insights about Project Management? This blog post certainly has all the possible answers to your questions that you are looking for.
Before we talk about the nuances of this subject, let us first understand what exactly Project Management is. The process of organizing, analyzing, planning, implementing and controlling along with applying right skills, knowledge, methods and experience into a task to achieve the goals or end objective is termed as Project Management.
Enroll in our PMP Certification today and develop a strong foundation in the principles of project management.
The Association for Project Management has the following definition of the term:
“Project management is the application of processes, methods, skills, knowledge and experience to achieve specific project objectives according to the project acceptance criteria within agreed parameters. Project management has final deliverables that are constrained to a finite timescale and budget.”
A project has a beginning and an end. It is created to meet the needs and demands of a task in a department, within an organization or business. It is temporary, but the time taken for the completion of the project depends on the nature and the intensity of the tasks involved.
WHO IS A PROJECT MANAGER?
A Project Manager is someone responsible for all the tasks involved, right from the inception to the conclusion of the Project. A Project Manager plays a crucial role in the accomplishment of the goals and objectives of the business. The responsibilities of a project manager are very different from those working on a day to day predictable job profile.
A Project manager has several responsibilities that not only help in achieving the project target but also ensure that the goals are met smoothly and efficiently. A few responsibilities are mentioned below
It is imperative for a Project Manager to:
- be responsible for developing and formulating the project plans and necessary course of actions
- interact with different teams to assemble and lead the project competently
- hold necessary and meetings frequently with stakeholders and partners to discuss the progression of the project and succeeding agendas
- provide all the necessary inputs and information to team members regularly
- constantly supervise at every given stage for the successful completion of the project
- prioritize time management to have the project delivered before the stipulated period and meet the project deadlines
- ascertain different methods to measure and analyse the evolvement of the project from one stage to another
- maintain and keep a track record of all the essential documents and tools required in the accomplishment of the project
- anticipate the budget required and ensure that all the funds are allocated judiciously and efficiently
- Keep in mind the pros and cons of the proposal and to mitigate the risks involved in doing so.
The Project Managers have to stretch and work out of their comfort zone to have the projections delivered in the best possible way. Sometimes they also have to work under extreme pressure to meet the deadlines of the project completion. They have to manage the different culture, opinions and talents within the team and the organisation.
PHASES OF PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Just like any other business model, Project Management Course also has different stages which are not only vital but also inevitable for achieving the project objective.
Let us look at the various phases that a Project Management Job demands.
1. Initiation/ Inception
The first stage in Project Management is the Initiation. There could be various factors that lead to this stage and the process is carried on from hereon. The factors could be:
- To meet a projected business need
- To solve one or more persisting business problem
- To introduce a tangent in the existing business line
- To seize a promising business opportunity
- To entail best practices and feasible methods in the business
This stage helps in visualising the succeeding proposals and scope which eventually has to be approved by the stakeholders and clients formally.
Once the inception stage is successful, the following is the planning stage. In this stage the underlying focus is:
- the creation of the project plan
- forecast the estimated timeline for completion
- the creation of the estimated budget and allocation analysis
- the list of project errands that need to be carried out and focused upon
- to forecast the potential risks
- to identify the team and departments to be involved in the process
- To gather resources both internally and externally with regards to tools and talent.
3. Execution/ Implementation
The next obvious step is to bring alive the planning stage in the execution process. This is one of the crucial and elongated phases. It’s all about the ‘Doing Mode. ‘This phase turns your plans into action where all the procedures, workflow charts, templates, tools and software that were chalked out in stage 2 are now put to use and in action.
Undoubtedly, the team will encounter uncertainties and unexpected events in the due course, which the Project manager along with the team have to deal with and resolve it.
4. Monitoring and Control
This is the step which keeps a close tab on all the tasks and the metrics that have been retrieved as a result of the implementation phase. This step includes the frequent quality checks and testing of the results drawn so far. It also involves the comparison of the actual performance with the planned or the estimated performance and hence corrective action plans are drawn upon in case existing discrepancies are discovered.
5. Review and Closure
The last and the most significant step of the Project Management Cycle is the closure and the review phase. In this phase, the project manager shall provide all the final output and deliverables that were required to achieve the project goal. Along with this, the project manager conducts the final reviews concerning the team, their performance and then allocates the remaining budget (if any) back to the business for future projects.
METHODS USED IN PROJECT MANAGEMENT
It is important to note that any business or operation in today’s world will march towards success only if it adopts the newest and the innovative forms of methods that fit into the digital world.
Likewise, Project Management has no definite step by step or predefined procedures that can be followed dimly. The objectives of a project can be met only when there is one or more relevant PM methods are applied.
Let’s quickly take a look into the various methods that can be adopted:
- Six Sigma
- XP- Extreme Programming
- CPM- Critical path Method
- CCPM- Critical Chain Project Management
- XPM- Extreme Project Management
- APF- Adaptive Project Framework
- PMI’s PMBOK
- ECM- Event Chain Methodology
- Crystal Method
- PRiSM- Projects Integrating Sustainable Methods
- RUP – Rational Unified Process
The above are a few noted and well-adopted methods to carry out the functions of Project Management effectively. Each method imbibes a different set of principles, logic and mechanism that is adopted depending on the nature and intensity of the project.
TOOLS USED IN PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Let us not confuse with the Methods and Tools used in Project Management by Project Managers. Methods can be broadly termed as a set of best possible course of action or process which enables the completion of a task, whereas, Tools are the software or the mechanical device that helps in making the task simple and easy.
Given below is a list of tools that are most commonly used in Project Management actions.
- Skype intended for Business purposes
- Microsoft Project
- Microsoft Visio
- VSDX Annotator
Again, the usage of the above tools depend purely on the project needs, nature of the business, the magnitude of its operations and demand charts. It’s always advisable to opt for one or more tools to gain maximum productivity and increase the quality of the deliverables.
AREAS DEMANDING PROJECT MANAGEMENT
There are no limitations in the prevalence of Project Management to a particular industry. There are different and several domains that demand the inputs of project managers in their management system such as:
- Architecture and Infrastructure
- Insurance sectors (Health, Life, Assets, etc.)
- Software and IT
- Finance and Human Resources
Needless to say that every given industry requires strong Project Management contributions that fetch the expected results to attain the project goals.
WHY CHOOSE PROJECT MANAGEMENT AS A CAREER PATH
With the growing business activities and the idea of expansion, there is a strong call for the need of professionals who have a greater understanding of the industry and streamlining the process to achieve definite project goals.
This is where the role of Project Managers comes into the picture, making Project Management as a great career choice. A professionally certified individual in this field have higher chances of attracting offers that are not only profitable for the business objectives, but also to help fulfilling personal goals too.
Without the knowledge of Project Management, the state of any given projects would be disordered and messy. Several reasons are good and convincing enough to build a career in the field of Project Management.
Below are some of the reasons to support the same.
1. REWARDING SALARIES
Let’s admit it. The first thing that we all look for when applying for a job profile or the scope in a particular field is the pay-check. Questions like how lucrative are the salary, stability and other aspects such as the incentives, commission and bonus are few of the things that an individual will look into before the enrolment. This is one of the major driving forces that will motivate any individual to excel better.
The positions in a Project Management job paves off very well. Sooner or later you will notice a great progression not only in your designations but also in the terms of salaries. As per Glassdoor reviews, the average monthly salary of a Project Manager at an entry-level is between 30k-40K INR.
Your package shall increase with the years of experience you gain in this profile. Be sure of grabbing the best opportunities if you have relevant skills and ideal PMP Certification under your name.
2. INCREASING DEMAND
The demand for Project Management professionals has been rising ever since there was a rapid growth in the industrial and digital phase. Within the organisation there is always a constant need for individuals with relevant skills and proficiency and this can be best met through Project Management.
Based on recent study and surveys from various reliable sources, it is estimated that by the year 2027, The Project Management Jobs in different sectors is expected to rise by 33 per cent which is roughly about 22 million new jobs.
On that note, China and India will embody more than 75 per cent of the overall Project Management-oriented jobs and related employment opportunities. These statistics are so strong that it signifies many reasons to choose Project Management Jobs.
3. KNOWLEDGE EXPANSION
The acquisition of knowledge is not restricted to a particular project or a subject. The responsibilities are such that you will automatically indulge yourself into various Project Management courses at different levels to expand the knowledge horizon. This will prove to be an excellent way to keep yourself updated with the new trends and changes.
Several tools and methods carry tremendous amount of information and it becomes inevitable to inculcate keeping in mind the objectives of a certain project. Hence there is a vast potential to upskill yourself with the knowledge tied to Project Management.
4. PROMISING OPPORTUNITIES
If you are into a project Management job, be sure that you have bright career opportunities. The job profile is relatively new in the industry but has great possibilities to excel in this field.
Needless to say, you will have to put in a lot of efforts and hard work to accomplish the desired results. As mentioned, the demand for Project Management is predictably increasing and there are very few efficient Project Managers who are capable of meeting such demands.
5. SELF IMPROVEMENT
The learnings in the process of Project Management does not help you in focusing on the professionals’ goals but also builds enough room to improvise your overall personality and personal goals.
Performing functions in this role, you will sweep into channels delivering new skills through seminars, workshops, online training modules or in chat rooms. You not only become pro-active at your work but also pay attention to details that sometimes could be easily overlooked.
You not only make a difference in your well-being but also create a positive impact by catering to the needs of the business demands.
6. COMMUNICATION SKILLS
Apart from your technical skills, there is a huge opportunity and space to work on having great communication skills. The core role of a project manager is to interact with various people in the business hierarchy. There is no getting away from constantly working on your communication skills to get the job done.
Discussions have to be shaped per the teams you will be interacting with. For example, communication and tone will be approached differently when talking to a team from HR vs. interacting with a team from the IT department.
You will be able to quickly identify the best course of action, tone, formal, informal communication keeping in mind the end goal.
Unlike other job profiles, project management jobs have no pre-defined set of the job description. At every given point there are new things and ideas revealed. Brainstorming sessions with different teams, discussions with various departments, discussions with stakeholders and clients results in ideas of innovation and new learning.
Project Managers certainly make a lot of difference in the processes, structures, products, services and technology within as well as outside the business. New innovative ideas lead to new strategies, thus thriving towards accomplishing the targets strategically.
After all of the things mentioned above, you must be wondering about the best platform that will enable you to have access to the world of Project Management.
PMP CERTIFICATION AT HENRY HARVIN EDUCATION
When it comes to becoming professionally certified in the Project Management field, you must count on the best platforms and resources that will provide you with top-class training. Henry Harvin gives you one such platform.
Henry Harvin Education is one of the exceptional training organisation that provides world-class teaching techniques by both online and traditional classroom sessions. The PMP Course (Project Management Professional) is graded No.1 in the industry presently by Trainings360.
The PMP Certification Course offered at Henry Harvin will help you to understand and examine the wide range involved in the field of Project Management.
About the Course:
- Duration – Intensive 35 hours of live online classroom sessions. After these sessions, you will have 24 hours of Brush-up sessions which is optional for the next 12 months after enrolment
- Faculty – Internationally acclaimed Certified PMP® trainers having 10+ years of Industry Experience. They are experts in this field and have successfully trained 900+ individuals globally. You have the flexibility to attend multiple sessions from different trainers
- Projects – An excellent opportunity to experience real-life and relevant industry projects
- Acknowledgement – You will earn Hallmark CTRW Certification that is worldwide recognized after completing the course successfully with Hallmark of PMP next to your name
- Membership – You will have the privilege to get Lifetime Membership at Henry Harvin Academy for the PMP course.
1. Opportunity to construct a strong network with 18,000+ alumni worldwide
2. The membership includes a brilliant chance to have access to various recorded videos, case studies, projects, etc. along with updated study material
3. An added advantage of attending the 12 monthly brush-up sessions and periodic Q&A sessions for next one year
4. Upon the successful completion of the PMP Certification program, you are eligible for an internship from the support team
5. you are authorized to have access to the LMS tools provided by Henry Harvin.
- Exposure – You get a platform to work with reputed companies across the globe and 100% support in placement assistance which is exclusively entitled to PMPs.
CORE CURRICULUM DETAILS
The PMP certification at Henry Harvin is structured in a robust manner that not only entails intricate aspects of Project Management but also fosters a great amount of confidence, leadership skills and business acumen among the participants.
All those parameters which are considered of utmost importance in meeting the project requirements are imparted in the training sessions by the experts at henry Harvin Academy.
The curriculum is divided into 16 intensive modules that are stated below.
- Module 1- Introduction to the course
- Module 2- Introduction to PMP Certification
- Module 3- Project Management Framework
- Module 4- Project management Processes
- Module 5- Role and Responsibilities of a Project Manager
- Module 6- Project Integration Management
- Module 7- Project Scope Management
- Module 8- Project Schedule Management
- Module 9- Project Cost Management
- Module 10- Project Quality Management
- Module 11- Project Resource Management
- Module 12- Project Communications Management
- Module 13- Project Risk Management
- Module 14- Project Procurement Management
- Module 15- Project Stakeholder Management
- Module 16- List of Knowledge and Skills (Appendix PMP)
WRAPPING IT UP
Project Management Certification course is the golden gate for you to have the ultimate access to get into this field. Project Management is a new dimension that brings major and clear changes within the business to accomplish the project goals strategically and efficiently. The PMP certification course not only polishes your skills but also introduces you to keep with the fast-paced changes and challenges in and outside the industry. Now that you have a fair idea about Project Management, you could go ahead and enroll to becoming one of the professionals in this field.
- Top 9 Project Management Courses in Kolkata
- PMP certification exam cost
- TOP 20 PMP Exam Questions and Answers
- Is PMP Certification Worth It in India?
- 10 Best PMP CERTIFICATIONS IN SINGAPORE
Also Check this Video
Q1. Is there any specific qualification required to become a Project Manager?
Answer: Of course not. The basic qualification required is a bachelor’s degree. You can enroll in a professionally recognized PMP Certification course and other relevant courses that will enable you to qualify as a Project Manager.
Q2. How much time does it take to complete the PMP certification course?
Answer: The time taken to complete the PMP Certification course depends on the level chosen and the academy or the institute chosen. However, on average, it takes anywhere between 30-50 hours of training, again this is subject to various factors.
Q3. What is the scope after being a Project manager?
Answer: The scope of a Project manager is immense and cannot be narrowed down just in a few words. With the growing demand for the Project Management process within the business, there is a direct rise in the demand for Professional Project Managers who are capable enough to meet the requirements of a project. A handsome salary package, valued designations, incredible opportunities are few important aspects.
Q4. Is PMP exam tough?
Answer: The PMP consists of a broad spectrum of topics related to Project Management. There is no doubt that one has to work hard to soak up the concepts of PM which are in-depth and relatively tedious. But as the saying goes there is no shortcut to hard work. It is challenging but possible to get through.
PMP® Certification With
98.8% Pass Rate in PMP® Exam Protected by 100% Money-Back Guarantee | PMP® certification is the gold standard for Project Management professionals.
Agile Project Management
An exclusively designed Program by professionals working in international firms across San Francisco, Colombo, Melbourne and Hong Kong. Become eligible for sought-after Agile & Scrum Professional jobs in Fortune 500 Companies by gaining hallmark of a quality certification on Agile Project Management.
Design Thinking Course by
Henry Harvin® Academy
Ranked no. 2 Design Thinking Course in India | Trained 1,835+ participants | Get exposure to 10+ projects | Acquire detailed training in applying Design Thinking principles | Both classroom and live online options availableExplore Popular Category