Table of Contents
“Palindrome” was first coined in greek literature for giving one word to “running back”, as Palin means back or again, and dromos means running. This explanation was later used in English literature, which is how Palindrome shot to fame in the literary world.
To simplify it for the readers, a palindrome is a phrase, word, sentence, or number that reads the same whether you read it backward or forward. For example, civic reads the same backward and forward. Most of the time with palindromes it’s seen that the spacing, capitalization of alphabets, or even punctuation is not mandatory. Palindrome looks intimidating at the beginning but is a good drill for the brain cells. Just like people play sudoku, going back and forth with palindrome words and sentences is also beneficial.
From A.D. 70 in Greece to its presence in Sanskrit and then its recent connection with the English language talks about the long history of the palindrome.
Different Types of Palindrome
- Character Palindrome
The single word palindrome falls under this category. They can be read the same character by character backward and forward. For instance kayak, aibohphobia.
- Name Palindrome
Like Hannah, Bob, Eve, etc there are a whole lot of names that follow the palindrome pattern.
- No Punctuation Palindrome
One can also find specific phrases that are palindromes and don’t consider punctuation marks while spelling the entire word. Like, Madam, I’m Adam. Now here if you try to read it backward, you have to ignore the punctuation mark otherwise you won’t be able to make the words while reading.
- Number Palindrome
Numbers like 101, 10101, and so on show palindrome sequencing.
- Word Palindrome
In word palindromes, there are chances that sometimes the word won’t match exactly but can be read in a continuous similar sounding method. Some words can be read the same forward as well as backward.
- Date Palindrome
A palindrome is not just seen in alphabetical characters but also dates. Like 12-11-2021, a particular date, month, and year when matched make a date palindrome.
- Magic word square Palindrome
Here the words are spelled the same downward and across. It’s like a brain puzzle game where hints help you to form the word square. For example Den, Eye, and Net together for a magic word palindrome.
- Musical Palindrome
Many acoustic phrases in a musical show the palindrome form.
- Palindrome in Science
The genetic sequence is the best example of palindrome in science. The exact sequence of nitrogenous base DNA and RNA shows the link between palindrome and science.
Fun Facts About Palindrome
- The first known palindrome was Sator arepo tenet opera rotas
- Palindromes are entertaining and brain-teasing
- Often these words follow the CVCVC sequence that is, consonant, vowel, consonant, vowel ending with another consonant.
- Of course, there are variations in these too, like CVVC, CVCCVC, CVVCCVVC
- Then there are heteropalindromes where the word remains the same forward and backward but meanings differ. For instance evil and life
- Detartrated is the longest palindrome with 11 letters and is registered in the Guinness World of Records
- Doppelganger is the most celebrated palindromic poem
- Saippuakuppinippukauppias is the longest palindrome in the Finnish language
- Satanoscillatemymetallicsonatas is a music album released by an American rock band
- Semordnilap is a particular case of palindromes whose meaning is entirely different when the word is read backward and forward. Like, desserts can be read as stressed
Palindrome Words, Sentences, and Phrases
Let us look at 65 Palindrome words, sentences, and phrases
- Never odd or even
- Was it a car or a cat I saw?
- Top spot
- No lemon no melon
- Borrow or rob?
- Taco cat
- Mr.Owl ate my metal worm
- A man, a plan, a canal- Panama
- Ah, Satan sees Natasha
- Eva, can I see bees in a cave?
- Madam, I’m Adam
- Evil olive
- Do geese see God?
- Don’t nod
- A nut for a jar of tuna
- No, it can access an action
- Tessa’s in Italy, Latin is an asset
- Telegram, Margaret!
- Zeus was deified, saw Seuz
- Stella won no wallets
- Tuna nut
- No, it is the opposition
- A Toyota
- Red root put up to order
- Do I like to look like I o?
- A Santa lived as a devil at NASA
- Fall leaves as soon as leaves fall
- I saw desserts, stressed was I
- A dog! A panic in a Pagoda
- Emil saw a slime
- Name now one man
- Star comedy by democrats
- Anne, I vote more cars race Rome to Vienna
- Was it a rat I saw?
- Are we not drawn onward, we few, drawn to a new era?
- Avid diva
- My gym
- Lonely Tylenol
- Sit on a potato pan Otis
- Naomi, did I moan?
Creating a New Palindrome
The first thing to keep in mind is to understand which consonant to choose and how to put the cluster of consonants in place. Then find their reversible combinations. Further, with the suffix like -ed or -s you can blend the cluster of consonants. For example, denim and mined, plug and gulp, time and emit, doom and mood, rail and liar, edit and tide, etc
Ans: Yes, languages like German, Indonesian, and French do have palindromes.
Ans: The famous poem so far under this category is Doppelganger, written by James Albert Lindon.
Ans: In simple words, knowing palindrome enhances the vocabulary in any language. Thus, plays a very important role to make language learning interactive and fun.
Ans: You can check Herny Harvin language academy for English language courses which would help to understand all the key elements and variations of the language with practical usage.
Content Writing Course
with Gold Membership
*Learn from South Asia's Oldest Content Writing Course | Recognized by American Association of EFL, Content Writing Association of India, UK Cert, UKAF & MSME | Guaranteed Live Projects & Internship Opportunity.
Technical Writing Course
with Gold Membership
*A cutting-edge Technical Writing Course which teaches you the fine art of transforming data and information accumulated through a process or experimental work into technical documentations and guides.
Creative Writing Courses
with Gold Membership
Henry Harvin® Creative Writing Course Ranks#1 in India by The Statesman! Creative Master the creative writing skills to compose engaging Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, Drama, and Poetry that will snap a reader’s curiosity from the advent to end of your write-up.
Medical Writing Training
Course and Cartificate
A one-of-a-kind Medical Writing course which helps you get a thorough understanding of pharmaceutical regulatory writing as well as medico-marketing writing. Strengthen your writing prowess as you boost your skills as a medical and scientific writer. The Certified Medical Writer(CMW) certification is your key to success.Explore Popular Category