Technology is developing at a massive rate and has made human life much easier compared to the olden times. One thing that has brought about a great revolution in the software field is undoubtedly Tableau software and its scope. Tableau Software is an American interactive data visualization software company working on business intelligence. It was founded in 2003 in Mountain View, California, and is currently headquartered in Seattle, Washington. In 2019, the company was acquired by Salesforce for $15.7 billion. The Tableau developers community has more than one million members, spanning over 500 user groups worldwide and active Community Forums and programs. It is active, diverse, innovative, and supportive of one another on and offline, sharing experiences and, best practices.
What is Tableau?
Tableau is a visual analytics platform transfiguring the way we use data to solve problems –thus empowering people and organizations to make the most of their data. As the market-leading alternative for modern business intelligence, the Tableau platform is used for taking any kind of data from almost any system and turning it into actionable insights with speed and ease. It’s as simple as dragging and dropping. Moreover, their industry-leading enablement resources, training, and global data community offer unparalleled support for the customers and their analytics investments. To help people see and understand data, they go beyond technology to ensure customer success by helping people build a data culture.
From the time of its foundation, Tableau has been deeply committed to supporting evolving customer needs. They have continuously invested in research and development at an unrivaled pace, focused mainly on the BI and analytics space. With much of our innovation driven by customer feedback, Tableau customers have a seat at the table—Customers are adopting Tableau faster than ever before. By putting data at the center of conversations, collaboration, and decision-making, customers are finding new opportunities to delve into this area of innovation and progress.
With built-in visuals, Tableau enables limitless visual data exploration without interrupting the flow of analysis. With role-based licensing, Tableau meets the needs of all users, regardless of their skill set. Their analytics innovations help anyone—from data scientists to business users—uncover insights faster, with accessible machine learning, statistics, natural language, etc. Tableau makes analysis faster, easier, and more intuitive. Analyzing data quickly and interestingly that provides immediate feedback makes the program engaging, fun, and easy to learn.
Three key ideas covered:
- Flexibility and Choice:
Varied options available to deploy analytics and connect to Data
- Governance and Security:
Empowers you with enterprise-Grade security and Governance models
- Integration and Extensibility:
Having a vast partner network,
Tableau serves global enterprises at every step of the way
A Tableau Developer is a person who performs data visualization, data analysis, and business intelligence processes of the organization using the Tableau Platform. Tableau developer develops, maintains, and manages a BI system by using Tableau software. Presently, Tableau development is in great demand as more and more companies are considering data analytics as a priority.
Tableau developers play an important role as Industry leaders in developing business intelligence tools and establishing data-driven policies across the organization. All in all, Tableau developers create tableau dashboard reports, collaborate with other developers, and attend feedback sessions to improve systems.
It also involves having a good rapport with people and asking the right questions to deliver dashboards. The programming aspect is often simple and easy to learn.
The roles and responsibilities of Tableau developers can be different as per the needs and are defined by the organization.
They are responsible for:
- understanding business requirements and plan solutions to address data needs
- Getting together with IT teams and business professionals to establish data-driven policies and strategies across the organization
- Developing, designing, and maintaining Tableau dashboards and analytics
- Collect, refine, and prepare data for analytics and visualization
- Managing and using the Tableau platform to extract meaningful insights from it
- Preparing reports using various visualization and data modeling methods
- Defining new KPIs and consistently measure in the datasets
- Collecting data from various data sources and normalize it
- Testing and publishing dashboards and reports with utmost accuracy
- Defining access controls and implementing security measures whenever required
- Drill-down data and prepare reports with utmost accuracy
- creating wireframes with a focus on user experience and visibility
- Improving overall process in data management, collection, dashboard design, and total product life cycle
- Applying algorithms and statistical methods to obtain answers from data
- Solving any data or performance issues related to workbooks and data sources
- Monitoring reports and dashboards and making necessary changes
- Managing Tableau-driven implementations and administration
- Managing the performance and usability of Tableau to get the desired results
These are some of the duties that Tableau developers are responsible for. It can widely vary depending upon the requirements of the organization.
Skills required for a Tableau Developer
- An In-depth knowledge and a proper understanding of RDBMS(Relational Database systems), SQL(Structured Query Language), Business Intelligence, and data analytics
- Proficiency in analytics and database querying tools
- A lot of experience in developing and managing dashboards and reports in Tableau
- Good competency in SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), SSRS, and SSAS, SQL queries, and procedures
- Analytical skills to predict trends and insights using past and current data
- Knowledge of data architecture, data modeling, data mapping, data analysis, and data visualization
- Enterprise-level experience in data presentation through various bars/charts/models/dashboards
- Sound knowledge and experience in Excel, PL/SQL, ETL, and Tableau platform
- Technical knowledge of Tableau Products and versions including Tableau Server, Tableau Public, Tableau Online, Tableau Desktop, and so on
- Ability to build visually attractive and interactive dashboards
- Able to manipulate and blend data to design dashboards and visualization
- Knowledge of data migration, Tableau integration, and extensions
- Certifications in Tableau and other BI tools is an added advantage
- Working knowledge of Power BI, SAP Analytics, and Ticketing systems is an asset
Logical and creative skills:
Tableau is not so difficult to learn if one has the aptitude for it. It can be mastered with practice and used as a pivotal tool for business. When it comes to working with data, the most important thing is your problem-solving ability. If issues arise, you must know how to solve and set right the problem by using the resources and platforms. Thus, Problem-solving skill is a necessity as data-specific jobs require minute attention to details and logical approach.
Analytical mindset and data storytelling are more valuable than ever before. To become a specialist in Tableau Development, you must have the ability to see the ‘big picture ’ of data. It is a highly useful skill to read trends, solve problems, and predict future events based on the data and applied models.
As a Tableau developer, you will most likely be working with data presentation and visualization. Along with a knowledge of basic data concepts, you must possess the specific skills to present data effectively. Just presenting facts and figures won’t work, you must answer the “what if” scenario and also explain it. The art of data storytelling is required for apt, accurate, and easy decision-making.
Apart from these, below are some soft skills that will add value for the post of a Tableau Developer:
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of design principles and quality processes
- Knowledge of code integration and languages like R and Python
- Technical knowledge of Tableau Products and various versions
- Sound knowledge of data security and its implementation
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Computer Science, IT, Information Systems, Mathematics or related field
To be a successful Tableau developer, you should have a thorough understanding of business technology, the ability to design reports, and strong analytical skills. To be top-notch at Tableau Development, one should have an aptitude for using computers, strong written and verbal communication, and proficiency in reporting analysis tools.
A Tableau Developer requires an overall skill set that includes logical, technical, and interpersonal skills. It is not necessary to have all of these skills. By and large, you require some of the important skills that take you through this field of work.
Tableau Developer Requirements:
- A degree in mathematics, computer science, information systems, or related field.
- Relevant work experience.
- A solid understanding of SQL, rational databases, and normalization.
- Proficiency in the use of query and reporting analysis tools.
- Competency in Excel (macros, pivot tables, etc.)
- Experience in developing, maintaining, and managing Tableau-driven dashboards & analytics and working knowledge of Tableau administration/architecture.
Scope of Tableau Development in India
Demand for Tableau Professionals
By 2021, the world is set to generate 50 times the amount of data as in 2011, according to a study by International Data Corporation (IDC). With this huge amount of data and real business implications at play, many organizations across the world need an easy-to-use tool to analyze data and derive actionable insights from it. Tableau helps organizations to manage to analyze data. Thus, the popularity of Tableau – the four-time leader in Gartner’s magic quadrant – is expected to go higher and higher.
Top Companies looking for Tableau Developers
In the current scenario, we see that many top companies are looking for Tableau talent, namely-: Facebook, Dell, Applied Systems, Booz Allen Hamilton, NetJets, University of California, Groupon, General Motors, Sony Electronics, Sunguard, Bank of America, KPMG, Verizon among others. So if you aspire to work for such big companies in the industry, a career in Tableau is the way to achieve it.
Variety of Jobs on Offer
The most interesting thing about a Tableau career is you have a variety of job roles to choose from and at different levels in your career. For example, following are some of the much sought-after job titles for Tableau professionals:
- Tableau Consultant
- Data Analyst
- Business Analyst
- A Business Intelligence Analyst
- Business Intelligence Developer
- Business Intelligence Manager
Bright Future for Tableau
In 2015, Tableau was named as a “Leader” in the data visualization and business intelligence market for the 4th consecutive time by Gartner Research. It is proud to be the market leader for its competitors in terms of its “ability to execute”. Tableau is also a strong contender with other software if you consider the “Completeness of Vision”. Therefore, we can say that the future of Tableau is very bright and secure.
Salary – Rewarding Tableau Career
Not only there is a great demand for Tableau experts, but there are also huge rewards on offer as well. Tableau professionals are getting paid the best salaries in the industry, with an average of $106,000. The average salaries too, are on an upward trend with the recent average salaries going up to as high as $158,000.
In India, it is an equally rewarding career with a median salary of above Rs. 5 Lakhs.
Tableau salary trends in India as well as the US are on a sharp rise and are pitted to increase even more soon.
In India, a career in Tableau is quite rewarding. Once you get a certificate in your hands, there is no looking back. Candidates trained by experts stand out among the crowd and can showcase their skills.
Pay Package of Tableau Developers in India
The salary offered is higher as compared to that of other job profiles. A Tableau Developer’s salary in India is on the rise, and experienced developers are earning as much as INR 20 lakh and more annually. A person with 1 to 2-year experience draws 8Lakh per annum.
So, you see, there is ample growth and scope if you learn Tableau. However, this depends on various demographics – geography, experience, and skills. Tableau developers have a range of job titles to choose from – computer architect, business intelligence developer, business objects developer, data analyst, etc.
Once you become a certified professional in Tableau from a reputable institute, your options are endless. Unlike few other programming languages that give you limited scope, this one has incredible scope and opportunities.
Each job profile demands a specific specialization.
The average salaries of Tableau developers as per their job titles is given below:
|Job Role||Average Salary (Yearly)|
|Business Intelligence Developer||₹3,60,000|
|Business Objects Developer||₹5,43,000|
The salary of a data analyst with Tableau skills is quite higher than the national average. The choices are immense and you can choose a profile according to your interest and career objectives.
Tableau Developer Salary in Different Locations in India
Unlike in the USA, where the salaries of Tableau developers barely vary according to the location, in India, the city’s economy has a lot to do with the average salary offered.
|Job Location||Average Salary (Yearly)|
|Chennai, Tamil Nadu||₹9,97,552|
In Delhi alone, a tableau Developer with more than 8 years of experience earns 15 lakhs per annum.
In other cities like Chennai and Bangalore, the salary is around 8 lakhs annually. If you are looking for a developer job in India, then you might want to focus your sights on settling down in Delhi.
Here is the list of Top companies that offer jobs as Tableau Developer:
- General Motors
- Sony Electronics
- Applied Systems
- University of California
- Bank of America
Almost all of these companies have branches globally. Therefore, your chances of finding your dream job, even in countries located in Europe or elsewhere, are much brighter as a Tableau developer.
With such enormous& crucial data to deal with, small and large organizations need resources who can interact and analyze the database to gain vital insights from it. In the fast-growing IT industry, Tableau is considered the jewel among working professionals. Gartner’s research has ranked it second in the data visualization and business intelligence market.
Tableau Training Course from Henry Harvin
- Duration/Mode: 32 hours of instructor-led training, 24 hours of Bootcamp sessions, and 50 hours of e-learning access
- Trainer: Professionals and experts with 10+ years of experience in the Tableau training industry
- Live Projects: Experience real-time Tableau training projects to hone your skills
- Alumni Status: Earn Henry Harvin®’s alumni status and become part of 18,000+ distinguished alumni networks globally
- This online Tableau course is for those who want to work with data regardless of technical or analytical background. Users can create and distribute interactive and shareable dashboards, that project large volumes of data into easily readable graphs and charts. Edureka’s Tableau online Training is designed to help you prepare for the Tableau Desktop Certified Associate Certification examination by providing you hands-on training on various Tableau tools. This Tableau Certification Training is a stepping-stone to your Business Intelligence journey. During this course, you will get an opportunity to work on various Tableau projects.
Conclusion: Looking at the above prospects, scope, and pay package of a Tableau Developer in India, one can easily aim at becoming a certified Tableau Developer in a Top organization. All you require is proper training and essential skills in this software field.
Frequently asked questions:
Ans: Tableau is very easy to learn and use, so if you devote a good amount of time, then you could learn Tableau within a month. However, it varies from one individual to another, some might take 2 months or even 6 months to complete. You can check out Tableau courses online to know the no: of hours, duration, etc.
Ans: Indeed Tableau is an excellent skill in business intelligence as it assists in radical decision-making. Most organizations rely on data visualization; Thus, Tableau is worth it because it’s a great data visualization tool. Learning Tableau in 2021 will boost your confidence level and take you higher in the IT industry. You will find a sea change in your professional skills. Tableau believes data analysis should be about asking questions and not about learning software.
Ans: Since Tableau combines data with visualization, you need to have a versatile skill set. Many careers are purely detail-oriented and technical (engineering comes to mind), while other careers are more creative (such as art). Data Visualization requires an individual who has both a logical and creative mindset. This unique combination makes the role of Tableau Developer authentic and exciting.Given that, there are several skills worth having or developing if you plan on having a career as a Tableau Developer.
Ability to Structure / Organize Items Logically
Understanding of Data Concepts
Ability to simplify complex concepts
Ability to tell a story
Visual Layout Skills
Ans: SQL is not needed if you want to learn Tableau and work on Tableau but it is necessary for taking up a job because when you start working on a project then you need to prepare a Tableau dashboard using data. Now if you need to fetch data from any database then you must know SQL because SQL is the medium to talk with the database and get answers in terms of data that you will be using in Tableau or Power BI. Based on your client and managers’ requirement, you can decide to learn only Tableau or Tableau with SQL.
Ans: You don’t need any programming skill but you need the analytical mind of a coder to succeed. Tableau is a BI tool designed by and large for data representation or visualization, to begin with, in tableau you don’t need to master any programming language.
Artificial Intelligence Course
Become a skilled AI Expert | Master the most demanding tech-dexterity | Accelerate your career with trending certification course | Develop skills in AI & ML technologies.
RPA using UiPath With
Training & Certification
No. 2 Ranked RPA using UI Path Course in India | Trained 6,520+ Participants | Learn to implement RPA solutions in your organization | Master RPA key concepts for designing processes and performing complex image and text automation
Tableau Training and
Curated by Industry Experts, focused Tableau training & certification program helps you master Tableau Desktop, Tableau Prep Builder, & Tableau Online | Create compelling data visualization using the most popular tools in the industry preparing you for Certified Data Visualization Course.Explore Popular Category