If you want to earn that extra buck, or you want to make your free time more fertile, or you were not so lucky to have completed your college and you have an unfulfilled desire to earn a living, but you are apprehensive about not having the required qualification, here is something that might amuse you; you can teach English online without a degree.
The Internet is perhaps the most revered gift that technology has given us. And we can utilize it intelligently to make our lives more productive and satisfactory. One of the booming industry which is supported by the internet is online teaching.
For a decade there has been a sea change in our society, now we are global citizens rather than confined to a territory. So communicating effectively with the world population has grown, with that the surge in interest to learn and speak the official language; English. Therefore teaching English has become a sought after profession worldwide. Many companies have sprouted to cater to this need and most of them prefer it online. Thus, teaching English online is being considered a rewarding profession.
Companies that offer satisfying jobs to candidates for teaching English online without a degree.
#1. Cambly –
This company provides a platform for students from all over the world to converse with native English speakers (natives of the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, and some others) and learn English. The focus is on developing speaking abilities, so a Cambly teacher chats with his/her students at any convenient time over the webcam and earns money. Cambly tracks the time spent by each teacher and pays accordingly. The classes are not structured and mostly the students are adults. Cambly does not look for any particular degree in English but it prefers Native English teachers.
- Remuneration: It is $0.17 USD per minute I,e. $10.20 USD per hour and the amount is transferred every Monday via PayPal.
- Hours of work: The working hours for Cambly tutors are not fixed. They can connect at any time and take up chat calls
- How to apply: By following three simple steps you can become a tutor at Cambly and teach English online without a degree:
- Get a reliable internet connection that can handle video streaming efficiently.
- Record a short and crisp introduction of yourself. If you are not satisfied you can re-record it
- Market yourself by writing an effective introduction for the students to identify you and ask for you, at last, submit your application.
#2. PalFish –
This is an app-based teaching platform. If you want to become an online teacher of English at PalFish, you need an iOS (Apple) or Android cell phone/tablet. PalFish has no preference for Native English speakers and non – native teachers are encouraged to apply. The teacher can teach on one to one basis or cater to a larger group which accounts for more earning.
To become a PalFish teacher, you must have excellent command over the English language; have good communication and interpersonal skill; should be a creative, enthusiastic, and passionate facilitator.
Please note that due to recent changes, the Chinese government has made a valid teaching certification (TEFL/TESOL/CELTA) or teaching license compulsory to teach English online with PalFish.
- Remuneration: With Palfish you can fix your pay. On average you can earn $10 to $18 USD per hour for one-on-one classes. But some popular teachers charge and get around $30 USD per hour. The payment is made only through the Payoneer account.
- Hours of work: As a PalFish teacher, there is no fixed timetable for classes. You can choose to teach at your convenience.
- How to apply: To apply for the position of a teacher for teaching English online with PalFish, you will need to.
- Step 1: Download the PalFish app and follow the instructions
- Step 2: Select a suitable profile picture
- Step 3: Write a nice self – introduction which should be of approximately 100 words.
- Step 4: Record a video while introducing yourself. And this clip should be longer than 30 seconds so that it gives ample opportunity to comprehend your English speaking abilities.
- Step 5: You need to go to “My Wallet” and fill in your payment information. Once you have filled in all these details, account verification is done which can take up to two business days.
#3. Skima Talk –
If you register as a teacher with Skima Talk you can teach English online without a degree anywhere and at any time. However, teachers are screened at regular intervals and only those teachers can continue who enjoy the popularity within the student community. Skima Talk emphasizes customer satisfaction and expects the teachers to transform their lessons into “life-changing experiences”. Nevertheless, they recommend their students’ highest-rated teachers with a history of lease class cancellations or no-shows. Thus they provide the best learning experience to the students and in turn compel the teachers to give their best.
To become a teacher with SkimaTalk teacher, one should be a native English speaker; should be of 18 years or older; prior teaching experience/training is preferred; should have a good internet connection, and should be a thorough professional with a high sense of commitment.
- Remuneration: At SkimaTalk you can set your charges. Irrespective of what price you set for each session, SkimaTalk will charge a fee of 20%. The rest 80% is transferred to the teacher on a monthly basis.
- Hours of work: You can fix your own schedule and teach according to your capacity.
- How to apply: To teach online without a degree at SkimaTalk you have to trail the following easy steps.
- Step 1: Create an account at SkimaTalk by signing up.
- Step 2: Fill the profile and record a video introducing yourself.
- Step 3: Now you need to take some simple tests and then wait for the approval and at last your account is activated.
#4. Lingoda –
Lingoda specializes in teaching English, German, French, and Spanish to European students. Contrary to other companies that focus on teaching English to Asian students Lingoda hires teachers to teach European students. On average Lingoda caters to 6000 students, (most of whom are adults) through more than 7000 live classes in a week. Students at Lingoda can learn in small groups or one on one basis. The class schedule and material is provided to the teacher. Lingoda is considered the leader in the field of online language school in Europe.
To become a teacher with Lingoda, you must have at least 2 years of prior teaching experience; you should have an ESL teaching certification like TEFL/ TESOL/CELTA, and you should be a native speaker. You must also have legal permission to work as a freelancer.
- Remuneration: Payscale ranges from $7.85 – $12.34 USD per hour.
- Hours of work: You can select your classes from a full 24/7 job schedule, according to your suitability.
- Application Process: There are two simple ways by which you can be a teacher with Lingoda:
- Option 1: You can fill out their application form and wait for their response.
- Option 2: You can accelerate your application processing by sending a 1-minute video application to firstname.lastname@example.org and attach your qualifications and experience.
#5. Open English-
This company came into existence in 2007, and since then has been considered as the market leader in online English learning in Latin America. Students can learn in small groups or private classes at any time round the clock on any day of the week. The teachers are compulsorily native English speakers and the content of their teaching is interactive and prepared on demand. This market leader, of course, provides lucrative Incentives in the form of professional development of teachers hired, flexible schedules, and a convenient shift drop/pick-up system.
To become an online teacher of English at Open English you should have an EFL/ESL (English as a Foreign Language/English as a Second Language) degree and you also need to be a native English speaker. Candidates without a relevant graduation degree must have a TEFL/TESOL certification and at least 1 year of EFL/ESL teaching experience. Preference is given to candidates that can also speak Spanish or Portuguese.
- Remuneration: Teachers get paid up to $15 USD per hour.
- Hours of work: Open English is a suitable option for those who are already engaged in jobs or studies as the company requires the availability of 10 to a maximum of 36 hours per week. They also hire people who are available in the evenings though there are no guaranteed hours, and assigned hours can vary according to seasonal demands.
- How to Apply: While applying for the position Academic Specialist with Open English, you will gain an idea about the classroom experience and technical requirements, at the same time you are required to provide information about your qualifications, skills, and experience. After completing the application, it will be reviewed and in many cases will be held until there is a position available. You may be asked to complete an interview or video recording.
- Once you are selected, you will have to go through an on-boarding process and will be required to complete training to become familiar with the Open English stages and preferred methods before being assigned any class or shifts. To recapitulate the application process:
- Step 1 – Complete application
- Step 2 – Complete any additional steps required (interview or video submission)
- Step 3 – If selected, complete on-boarding
- Step 4 – Complete training
- Step 5 – Start teaching!
#6. Verbling –
It provides a platform for enthusiastic language learners to connect with qualified teachers online. The teachers provide private sessions through Verbling’s own live video chat technology. Therefore teachers can teach from anywhere in the world if they have access to computers and the Internet.
Verbling requires candidates, who aspire to become online English teachers to have previous experience in teaching English to speakers of other languages. Therefore you should particularly mention this experience in your resume, and also attach a reference letter or any other proof to second your claim of experience. Verbling also gives preference to TEFL certified teachers with approximately 120 hours of training. Candidates that have neither a certificate in teaching nor a verifiable teaching experience will not be accepted. Moreover, Verbling entertains only native-English speakers.
- Remuneration: Teachers set their own rates on an hourly basis. Out of which 15% is deducted as a commission by Verbling the remaining 85% is given to the teachers. The teachers can encash their earnings using various methods like PayPal, TransferWise, Payoneer, or Verbling Credit.
- Hours of work: At Verbling teachers can set their own schedules. The students book a time slot available on the teachers’ timetable using the automatic booking system. The students are offered 12 hours advance notice policy, during which if they cancel their sessions they need to pay a penalty of 50% session fees. The student, however, can either cancel or reschedule a class without any penalty with 12 or more hours of advance notice of the session’s scheduled time.
- How to apply: You need to Create a Verbling account, log in, and submit a Verbling application. The application has the following sections:
- Section 1 – General profile information including a photo.
- Section 2 – Languages spoken and taught previously.
- Section 3 – A small video recording of a demo lesson.
- Section 4 – A short biography of the candidate.
- Section 5 – List of degree/ qualifications.
- Section 6 – Weekly availability calendar.
- Section 7 – A scanned photo of government ID.
- Section 8 – Complete a speed test to determine the Internet speed.
- Section 9 – Read and accept the Verbling consulting agreement.
- Shortlisted applicants are contacted within a time period of a maximum of 2 weeks of submitting their application.
#7. Latin Hire –
Latin Hire is originally a BPO (business process outsourcing) company that specializes in online education. They are a third party recruitment organization that recruits as well as manage talent for some of the largest education-based companies in the world. The appointees of Latin Hire are not only English-tutors but they also provide tutors in other subject areas such as: Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, Statistics, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Accounting, and Finance and Economy.
- Remuneration: If you aspire to be placed by LatinHire as an English teacher you will be paid for every minute you teach or even wait for your students to connect. However, the compensation varies with the subjects you will be tutoring, the quality of your deliverables, and the total hours that you spend on teaching.
- How to apply: To be hired and placed by Latin Hire
- You need to first fill up and submit an application form.
- Then your application will be reviewed. If there is a vacancy you will be contacted and the processing of your application will start as per the requirement and policy of the tutoring company.
- In case there is no requirement your application will be put on a waiting list. They will contact you as soon as they find a placement.
For teachers aspiring to teach English online without a degree, and without belonging to a native English speaking country, iTalki is one of the best platforms. It is a huge global language learning community with approximately 10000 highly talented teachers reaching out to more than 5000000 students worldwide. They provide a platform to teach any language the teacher is comfortable in and therefore through them the tutor teaches around 130 languages. The lessons are delivered on one on one basis. They believe in the notion that the best way of learning a language is through cultural sharing between the teacher and taught and thus in this way iTalki helps everyone with their personal journey to attain eloquence.
Once you get hired by iTalki as an English teacher and you gain some experience, you can also proofread or edit other people’s writing
iTalki hires two types of professional tutors
- Professional Teacher Type 1: Holds a university degree, such as a bachelor’s degree.
- Professional Teacher Type 2: Has a teaching qualification such as a TEFL certification but no bachelor’s degree.
In both cases, the candidate needs to be more than 18 years of age, native or near-native speaker, and should be able to produce reference letter or employment statements and should be able to manage classes on Skype, Google Hangouts, QQ and Facetime. As evident from the second option iTalk allows us to teach English online without a degree.
- Remuneration: The teachers usually set their own prices based on their local rates and the time and effort put in. iTalki charges a fee or commission on the listed course price of the teacher only after the student pays the money. iTalki suggests that teachers should begin with a low price tag and once they start getting positive reviews from students they can increase their fees. One of the positive aspects of getting hired by iTalki is that they do not take any money until the teacher starts earning.
- Hours of work: The teachers decide upon their own timings and the amount of time they would dedicate to teaching.
- How to apply: To get appointed by iTalki you need to:
- Fill in their application form and submit it
- Your application will be reviewed
- You will be informed within 10 working days about the status of your application(whether approved, waited or rejected)
- If approved you need to send a video of your success story in teaching and you also need to get through a quiz session
- You will have to appear for a video call with iTalki teacher services
- An application will be approved once steps 4 and 5 are completed within 7 days of the Pre-Approved email being sent.
Tutlo is a Polish-based language learning platform catering to the language learning needs of business professionals, children, and adults on a one on one basis. This can be a good website to look into if someone wants to teach English online without a degree.
- Requirements: A Tutlo professional has to be a native English speaker of at least 18 years of age with a minimum of 6 months of prior experience in teaching through online or offline media, should have a TEFL certificate, and of course an internet connection with 5 Mbps upload and download speed.
- Remuneration: It ranges from $5-11 USD per hour and is paid via PayPal.
- Hours of Work: Ideally the sessions are of 20 minutes but a student can opt for a 40 to 60-minute session. Lessons are on-demand and need not be booked in advance.
- Application Process: The application process is pretty simple. You just need to fill out an application form and submit it along with required documents and a short video introducing yourself.
#10. Preply –
Preply provides a platform for tutors to teach not only English but many languages. It supports its teachers by providing them with a steady stream of eager students, a hassle-free payment system, constant support, and an environment for you to teach more efficiently.
To teach online with Preply all you need is a reliable internet connection, a microphone, and a webcam. You can teach from the most comfortable corner of the world through Preply’s video platform.
- Remuneration: The payment structure may seem a little less lucrative to a prospective teacher as Preply takes away a 100% commission fee for the first lesson of all the new students. However, for the subsequent lessons, the commission varies from 33 to 18% depending on the number of lesson hours completed with students. Therefore the more you teach, the less commission you pay.
- What you earn depends on the hourly rate you fix, and how many of your classes are booked. Thus, your popularity with students influences your earnings to a large extent. The most popular teachers on Preply may earn up to $550 per week.
- The money paid by the students is kept in your Preply wallet and can be withdrawn anytime via Paypal, Payoneer, or Skrill.
- Hours of work: The hours can be set by you according to your convenience.
- How to apply: The Preply application form consists of the following sections:
- About section
- Profile picture upload
- Upload a short video introducing yourself
- Set your availability (schedule)
- Complete the Preply verification
The above is not an exhaustive list of companies that offer jobs to teachers who would like to teach English online without a degree. If you have the zeal you can rake up the net and find more such companies. However, for the time being, you can try these.
To sum up, to teach English online without a degree you need:
- A fast and dependable internet connection preferably with an ethernet chord
- A functioning laptop or PC with both audio and visual capabilities
- Good knowledge of English grammar and proper pronunciation of English words.
- A genuine appetite for teaching English.
- Preferable a native speaker of the language
- And finally, if you have a TEFL Certification that will just ease out the whole process.