What is Pugh Matrix?
Pugh Matrix, also known Decision-Matrix Method or Criteria Based Matrix, is a scoring technique designed to grade multidimensional alternatives and determine the most feasible solution among them.
“This Six Sigma Tool is usually used after analyzing the Voice of the Customer and carrying out Quality Function Development for designing new products. Besides product planning, it helps in vendor analysis, investment judgment, service analysis, etc.”
- Bhavesh Mehta, Six Sigma Practitioner.
Benefits of Pugh Matrix
Owing to its quantitative and systematic approach, the tool offers several benefits:
- Benefit#1: The template helps in conducting an objective analysis of various options while making a decision.
- Benefit#2: The tool can process sensitive analysis. It can identify how much a viewpoint can be altered towards a less preferred option to outscore a challenging alternative.
- Benefit#3: It helps in comparing several different designs against the original design, resulting in a stronger design and eliminating the weaker ones.
How to use it?
7 steps to use Pugh Matrix:
- Step#1: Construct a Pugh Matrix template using a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. Start by writing the criteria in the first column and the options in the top row. List as many options as you need.
- Step#2: Create criteria to evaluate feasible solutions. It can include cost, maintainability, feasibility, long term benefit, availability of resources, etc.
- Step#3: Assign scores for each criteria using comparative significance. The benefit of customers should be the priority when allocating scores to every criterion.
“Alternatives are assigned scores with respect to the criteria. The most likely option will be selected based on the overall scores. For a reliable outcome, scores should be assigned based on data collected and facts.”
- Rajan Malhotra, Business Designer.
- Step#4: Determine all possible solutions.
- Step#5: Evaluate how the solutions perform on every criterion and give scores.
- Step#6: Combine scores of each option.
- Step#7: Choose the best option with the maximum overall score.
“The Pugh Matrix is designed to assess a multi-criterion project. The ultimate goal is to create a process that promotes the organization and increases customer count. You can create a template and modify it to meet your specific needs.”
- Yogesh Chauhan, Manager, Operations.